KiteLife Forum

Impressed ?

Breezin

IMG_20180131_074944054.jpg No he is not!! The butchering of perfectly good materials shall soon commence. Went to a Jo Anne outlet yesterday morning. Ouch won't do that again. 1st one will be out of a fairly thick rip stop tarp. Maybe it'll fly in 40 mph. 2nd in flo orange is a lot thinner and enough material for 2 attempts. Hopefully by then I'll be able to handle the very thin slippery kite material fairly well. Got some duck canvas for the pockets ,spine and LE. Going to flexi tape the nose then plexi dip.  Frame in 6 mm carbon rods all around. Stand offs and battens in 3 mm.Bridle ? Got to get that far before I start figuring that out.If I can launch and fly in 10 mph will be pleased.Will post results next year LOL. Could have  a brand new HQ Cruiser sent from London England for $46.19 total cost  but you all have convinced me that the satisfaction is worth more than the $. I shall see :mf_crackegg:.

• Like 1

Don't do 40mph on the beach. It's like standing inside a sand blaster. On grass it'll just knock you over once in a while.

When you're done cutting the panels, you'll have a bunch of small scraps left over. Practice and adjust your machine using those.

• Like 1

Don't plan on flying in 40. Using 2.75 rip stop it will be so heavy if it can fly will probably take 40 to lift it lol. It's step 1 practice so I will be better on proper material. It's nice clean scrap haven't used in a couple years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

Don't plan on flying in 40. Using 2.75 rip stop it will be so heavy if it can fly will probably take 40 to lift it lol. It's step 1 practice so I will be better on proper material. It's nice clean scrap haven't used in a couple years. 

"2.75" ripstop? Not 0.75 ripstop? That is about 3.5 times as heavy as 0.75 ripstop. It will feel like a brick on the end of the lines and require monster inputs to do anything and will react to them VERY slowly. You may want to get some lighter material.

I think @Breezin's original intent was he was using fabric on hand to practice technique,. His high wind remark was probably to indicate with the increased weight, it'd take a lot more breeze to get airborne if at all. Breezin seems to be practicing with goods available locally before stepping further into the hobby.

Suggestion for Breezin, before buying the ripstop at Joanns or other related second choices, look at Flymarket or Goodwinds.. the Kite materials are often lower priced than the thick stuff from Joanns. You can practice on what you'll use and be able to test your handiwork on something that might produce what you want instead of building with Materials that just won't fly. The stuff I bought last year was on blowout for $3-7 a yard at the time.

For the thicker materials already in hand, practice making bags, banners and ground displays. You get the same experience with your machine but the effort results in things you can use going forward.

• Like 2

Yup that was intent but do enjoy the feed back very much . Keeps me thinking. Went to Jo Anne's for Guttermann thread and got bulky nylon overlocking which I think is still wrong but okay to start.Lady swore that's the thread I needed. It will work on the 2.75  material and a 110 needle .Got flo orange on sale in .75 there and .40 in black  real cheap on a auction. Do need a kite bag. It's about a 150 yard walk to where I fly thru 3 gates. Carrying 3 kites and other stuff gets a little cumbersome to say the least. Phil at Flymarket said pretty much the same thing Riff. Will be using Flymarket in the future for sure.

@Breezin good to see that you are getting going. Your announcement of your sewing plans previously has pushed me into starting to learn how to handle that cheapo sewing machine I bought last summer. I have made practice stitches and learned to adjust upper and lower thread tension on paper, but am not sure if I risk wearing the needle down. To learn more I have (previously) sewn a little bag from an old sheet, (and now) repaired a few socks and a shirt. To practice on proper material without causing a massacre of kite building material one could build a mini kite. If you build 1:5 you would only consume (theoretically) one 25th of the ripstop area compared to a 1:1 kite and the length of the mini bridle would be one 5th of the full size one, but with a smaller somewhat cheaper dimension. The second 1:1 kite should then be possible to be produced much quicker with the necessary first time mistakes already made.

• Like 1

Made 3 different bags for the Pro Dancer whiskers. The last one turned out so so and I'm using it for now. Got pretty irked and have taken 2 days off the machine. Left everything out on the dining room table so I have to look at it all the time. Makes me think. Will tackle it again in the morning. Have to remember to sip the coffee instead of gulp it or threading the needle might be all I do :unsure:.

12 hours ago, Breezin said:

Made 3 different bags for the Pro Dancer whiskers. The last one turned out so so and I'm using it for now. Got pretty irked and have taken 2 days off the machine. Left everything out on the dining room table so I have to look at it all the time. Makes me think. Will tackle it again in the morning. Have to remember to sip the coffee instead of gulp it or threading the needle might be all I do :unsure:.

Welcome to my world. :)  Don't be afraid to make the cuts and press forward.. those moments of indecision turn easily into days. Have fun with the whole process..

• Like 1