KiteLife Forum

Compiled list of some production kites

cjay

I compiled a list of some production kites, (and some that are no longer produced) to compare them and get a brief idea of the type and size of kites they are compared to each other. 

I listed some basic specs as I could find them, and added info and comments that I have read or heard about them. Maybe it will be useful to someone.

I listed them by brand, and by size from smallest to largest.

I am not making any claims about these products, their quality, or the accuracy of the information as the performance details are opinion based. Some of the spec details could be typing errors or mistakes or maybe were incorrectly listed. This list is for entertainment purposes only.

Premier

Premier vision – 5’3” (63”) Weight 7.5 oz. fiberglass frame. Ripstop Nylon fabric. 100' test low stretch polyester line. Wind range 5-20.  hard to stall.

Jewel – 5.5’ (65”) Weight 5.5 oz. 4mm solid carbon frame. Ripstop nylon fabric. 80lb spectra line. Wind range 3-18. Smaller version of the wolf, and widow. Quick and responsive.

Addiction Pro – 6' (72”) – weight 6.4 oz, carbon frame. wind 4-20. not built as good as the original addiction. Too Fast. Twitchy. oversteers.

Wolf NG – 6.71 (80.5") Weight 9 oz. Ripstop Nylon, Wrapped Carbon & 2400 Fiberglass. Oversteers.

Magnum – 7.83’ (94") Weight 10 oz.  Wrapped carbon. 30D Ripstop Polyester fabric. Wind 3-25. 150lb spectra line. slower, more pull, less oversteer, more of a precision kite.

Widow NG – 8’ (96") Weight: 11 oz. (.687lbs) Wrapped carbon frame. Ripstop Polyester fabric? 150 lb. Test Spectra Line.  Needs solid 5mph to fly, strong pull at 12mph. 6-9mph is the sweet spot for directional flying. Tracking is solid and crisp but response to quick succession turns is slow, removing the tail weight may help with this. Known to break the lower spreader at the T on the female end with crashes. Putting a few wraps of strapping tape on the outside of the female rod end seems to prevent this problem.

Spec contradictions as to whether it is; ripstop polyester or ripstop nylon fabric? Listed as ripstop polyester fabric on Premiers site, and as ripstop nylon on kitesandfunthings site, in reviews, and on other kite retailer sites. Jon T insists that it is ripstop nylon, and Premier stands by the claim that it is ripstop polyester.

Also is the frame P200 or P300 or both?

HQ

Bebop - 4.75' (57") 4+5mm fiberglass frame. Ripstop Polyester fabric. 44lb 66ft Dyneema line. Wind range 9-24. 4 point bridle.

Limbo 2 – 5’1” (61”) 5mm fiberglass frame. Ripstop polyester fabric. 90lb 65' line. wind 7-31. Good precision. High wind rating.

Salsa 3 – 6.17’ (74”)  5mm Carbon and Fiberglass Hybrid. 100% Ripstop Polyester. 100lb 80ft Dyneema line. More entry level ballet precision. Not that great for tricks, Slow to turn

Jive 3 – 6.41’ (77") Pultruded Carbon hybrid Frame. Ripstop Polyester fabric, 100lb 80ft Dyneema line. Better trick kite than salsa 3.

Ion – 6.75’ (81") 6mm Carbon + Hybrid frame. Ripstop Polyester fabric. 130lb 80’ Dyneema line. Wind 7-37.  Good T, better trick performer than jive 3, more advanced. Good precision.

Shadow – 6’9” (81") 4mm Dynamic T12+4+5mm carbon. Icarex fabric. UL 2-12 mph. Does not come with lines or straps. Weighted tail UL trick kite. Said to be track well and be fairly precise.

Maestro 3 – 7.21’ , carbon 6mm / Dynamic T15, Polyester fabric. Line: 80’ x 130lb dyneema.  strong Puller, weighted stunt kite.

Skydog kites  (hard to get parts for?)

Thunderstruck – 5.79’ (69.5") Loud, pulls hard, cheap line set.

Freebird  6’2” (74”) 6mm carbon frame. Wind range 5-20. Nice buzzing sound, slower forward speed. Decent line set.

Black Dog UL - 6.41' (77") Carbon fiber frame. Ripstop polyester fabric. Wind range 2-10 MPH.

Jammin – 7.16’ (86” x 37”) 6mm pultruded carbon fiber frame. Ripstop nylon fabric. 3 point standard bridle. spars are sub par and tend to break at the t-piece with aggressive flying. Offshore wind, spins fast, is a fast kite.

Dream on – 7.25’ (87” X 35.5”) Glorified beginner kite. Team kite, flies the best of skydog kites, good precision, well mannered, noisy, is the least tricky, better for inland wind. Low wind 5-20 mph. 6 to get going, Fast at 10. made for precision more than tricks.

Crossfire 2 - 7.58’ (91" x 38") high aspect ratio, weighted kite, not good precision, more trick oriented

Prism

Jazz – 5.16' (62”) fiberglass carbon rods, ripstop nylon fabric. polyester lines.

Prism Nexus – 5.33’ (64”)

Quantum – 7’ ( 84”) Pultruded carbon, wrapped carbon. Ripstop Nylon fabric. 85' x 150 lbs Dyneema lines. Designed to be strong for beginners – heavy – not as good in light winds – slow

E3 – 7.58’ (91”) Skyshark P100, P200 Wrapped carbon. Icarex Ripstop Polyester, Mylar Laminate fabric. 85' x 150 lbs Dyneema lines.

Zephyr – 7.71' (92.5”) Skyshark P100, 3PT wrapped carbon. Icarex polyester and Mylar laminate fabric. Low wind  85' x 150 lbs Dyneema line.

Hypnotist – 7.83’ (94”) Pultruded carbon / wrapped carbon frame. Ripstop nylon fabric. 85' x 150 lbs Dyneema line. Designed to be strong for beginners – heavy – not as good in light winds. Quantum pro sail, with quantum frame. Strong, fly’s good, turns slow.

• Like 4

Nice list. 

The Skydog Black Dog- UL(77" x 28.5") is a nice low wind kite(2-10 MPH). It comes with removable tail weights. I think it has good precision and tracking, and is capable of doing more ticks than I know how to do. Under 4 MPH takes some work to keep it aloft. Seems like a durable kite, as I have had a few unexpected landings with no damage.

15 minutes ago, Kansas Flier said:

Nice list. 

The Skydog Black Dog- UL(77" x 28.5") is a nice low wind kite(2-10 MPH). It comes with removable tail weights. I think it has good precision and tracking, and is capable of doing more ticks than I know how to do. Under 4 MPH takes some work to keep it aloft. Seems like a durable kite, as I have had a few unexpected landings with no damage.

Thanks. Thought it would be a good at a glance view.

Added the Black Dog UL. Don't know any more details about the materials, or if it is still available or not.

I really like the Black Dog but have never flown the ul. Can keep my Widow ng bouncing up and down now at 3 and 4 waiting for the wind to pick up.Haven't had it over 15 but at 12 I have to start leaning on the lines. In a good way. Kites nylon imho.

21 hours ago, Breezin said:

Widow ng Haven't had it over 15 but at 12 I have to start leaning on the lines. In a good way. Kites nylon imho.

Don't know if I would want to fly the Widow NG at 25mph.

Whether it is made from nylon or polyester is an interesting question. I don't care either way, but I like truth in advertising.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I believe most dualie kites would list a tip to tip measurement in inches as the size.  Back when I bought my first sport kite, in the eighties, I had to choose full sail, 3/4 sail or 1/2 sail.  The full sail was the then standard 96" tip to tip.  At least that is the way Premier was doing it the day I went into Kitty Hawk Kites on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  I knew nothing other than what my budget would allow.  Wanted the full sail but my funds would only allow the 3/4 sail, 72" tip to tip.  Inquired about line sets & found the price so high that I left the store just happy to get only the kite for eighty bucks plus the govenor's tax.  Went back the next day & bought a 150', 200# Skybond line set with a winder & Skyclaw handles.  Borrowed that money from my wife.  Then we went out in a steady 25 mph wind & did some scudding on the beach.  What a day that was.... 

Too bad I did not keep flying all those years since, SHBKF

Premier Aerosport 3/4 sail, still flyable even

gallery_7709_404_575851.jpg

• Like 2