KiteLife Forum

What bridle is this and what does this do?

Nekoshi

Been reading the Andy Wardley page on different bridles and trying to figure out what I have on my kite and how to adjust this thing for different situations, but I think I ended up more confused. Could someone here point me in the right direction? I know the basic nose in/nose out adjustments and how it affects flight but I think this one can adjust it's pitch? I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly.

IMG_0309.JPGIMG_0313.JPG

What is the kite?

My gut feel is that it is just designed to be a fixed three point bridle.

Although you can slide the knot out as per your second pic to form a turbo bridle, that looks to be a lot of turbo and in my view is unlikely to be a design feature of the kite.

Reverse turbos (where the turbo bit is on the outhaul rather than the inhaul) are much more popular, which again makes me question whether you creating a turbo is an intended feature.

The line going from part way up the uphaul to part way along the inhaul is almost certainly there as a keeper line to stop the inhaul catching on the keel.  It will only be an activator if it is taut when the bridle is tensioned along all three legs.

It's an Airwave Zero by flying wings. So UL/indoor. I had been using it outdoor in light wind but recently took it indoor and figured there was something I could adjust to allow for better indoor flight. Course maybe not. I have the top let out all the way already. When I was flying it indoor it was set like the first picture but it did look like it laid more flat when I dangled it with the setting like the 2nd picture so thought it might help but wasn't sure if that was right. Thanks for your help guys.

There looks to be a mark on the bridle leg going from nose to outside LE. Move up or down from there. Use it as a centering mark or a reminder of "neutral". Pull that line tight and the pigtail leading to lines should "unlock" to be adjusted. After adjusting, milk the pigtail knot to lock it in.  It should be a double larkshead, you have to get the loop part back down to the bottom of the knot to lock it. Otherwise it can still move. Put that leg from the inside back to the other knot.

Best I can give you, more a quad flier these days

• Like 2

I had to mark it but I moved it this far towards the nose. I'll keep playing with it next time I'm able to try it out. Thanks so much everyone! I also put that other larks head knot that I had moved back to where it was originally.

IMG_0314.JPG

• Like 1

While moving that inward line might do something (and I haven't read much on bridling), if you use the marks on that nose to LE line, you should feel a difference. The secret is learning how that knot locks after adjusting. Forget to lock that knot properly and suddenly that starts moving on its own and you've lost your adjustment. At least the mark is there to give you a reference point. Make sure both sides get adjusted equally.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nekoshi said:

I had to mark it but I moved it this far towards the nose. I'll keep playing with it next time I'm able to try it out. Thanks so much everyone! I also put that other larks head knot that I had moved back to where it was originally.

IMG_0314.JPG

Looks like you got that knot  right to lock!! Just a thought - measure your marks from some static reference point to be sure THEY are the same!

• Like 1