KiteLife Forum

Vicky

khsidekick

I believe that the "Vicky" has never been produced commercially as it is a specialty kite for extremely high wind and would have very limited demand in the market, even among experienced flyers. Most people head inside when the wind blows at 25mph or higher, although an experienced flyer can probably fly one in wind less than 20mph. Additionally, the kite is difficult to keep aloft in wind less than 25mph because of the response and the feel it has on the lines. The kite is nothing more than a frame wearing a thong and has very little pull even in 30mph wind.

I'm not saying don't get one, just understand that you will not use it very often and you may want to get something that you will fly more often. It's no doubt a specialty item that only the diehards who fly very frequently in severe weather will ever have even a  slight chance of wearing out in a lifetime. It would probably take JB 20 years to turn one into rags.

Look at a few close-ups and then hot cut your own old full sailed rev with a soldering iron, piece of glass  and a straight edge, you don't have to have the fancy HSGM HeidBscheider, if you can swing a few bucks more consider a 135% Shook, otherwise call Lolly and get the original by Alden.

you might get lucky standing next to Steve Polansky,... I did, receiving a full sailed hand painted castoff wing by just being in the right place! I know he flies a stack of custom Vicki kites and it can't be that tough to make, if you're up to it, Paul Dugards working one in each hand, he had Shook craft the leading edge sleeves, then did everything else, his way.  Brutal hand pressure with one in each hand! Vickis allow for more time on the lines

• Like 1

Vickis I flown work in low double digit wind, way better than it appears possible, that doesn't mean throw and catch 3D stuff is possible though, works again when portapotties are being blown over, just change the frame out to match today's conditions 

I flew Paul Dugards at WSIKF in fairly light wind and was amazed at how well it handled. I do have a SLE that I could cut up into one I guess. I like keeping it for new quad flyers to try since the B-series are now irreplaceable. I do have a Spyder vent for high winds but definitely like the look of the Vickie.

Sent from my IPhone

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_2580.JPG

Flew the spider rx in 15 gusting to 30 plus today. What a blast. This would be an easy kite to turn into a Vickie and it’s readily available. Tighten up the bungees and get rid of the reflex part, I don’t think it’s doing much in winds over 15 anyways.

• Like 1

Pick up an old EXP or SLE on eBay. Sometimes you can find beaters for under $100. Check if anyone has a beater they can part with at festivals. Many have one or two that they would happily get rid of just so they don't have to carry around the dead weight anymore.

• Like 1

I think there was a thread somewhere talking of the difference between less big holes verses more little holes. The sail with more little holes cloud go lower due to the vortices created at the edges.

When, that's not an if, I tea-bag a rev I will be cutting lots of smaller holes rather than big ones. Looking to make a spiral pattern on each wing with them.

Sent from a Galaxy 8 Far Far Down Under.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alden makes them through Revolution as masterpiece kites - priced appropriately! Best bet looks like that Spider - take off the Reflex system, cut all the fabric panels out of it. I'd leave all the reinforcing strips in place at first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Alden makes them through Revolution as masterpiece kites - priced appropriately! Best bet looks like that Spider - take off the Reflex system, cut all the fabric panels out of it. I'd leave all the reinforcing strips in place at first.

I didn't know that. 

• Like 2