KiteLife Forum

Any Kite Events on Long Island, NY?

Twin Roses

This is my first post, and although my family and I have flown kites for years, our experience is that of the very casual, novice flyer.  But we're hoping to learn more from this group and become more active in the world of kite flying :)  Does anyone know of any events or kite festivals on Long Island?  Or within close proximity?  Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Welcome to Kitelife, TR. Good to hear from another LI local !

There aren't any festivals in Nassau or Suffolk county anymore, but there is a festival at Coney Island in the Fall. 

I fly on the North Shore in Suffolk County, mostly, but just flew at Jones Beach last week. There is a group that flies at Jones Beach, field 6 on Sundays when the weather is good, but nothing official, and not anything big like the festivals in New Jersey (Wildwood, LBI) or Newport, RI.

There is only a handful of us Kitefliers on Long Island, which is surprising, since we've got great wind, great beaches, and a few million people... You'd think there would be more !

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RobB said:

Glad there's one more out there flying. Let me know if you want to fly sometime !

Make sure you take Rob up on this offer.  Have you watched his videos?  His light wind flying is spectacular & he is the Master of Slides.  He has inspired me to keep trying for years.  SHBKF

• Like 2

I must watch your videos Rob!  Sounds like I lucked out that we're both on Long Island:)  

And I have no clue what my preference is yet;)  Just playing around with some inexpensive single line parafoils and an In the Breeze Rainbow 50 Inch Sport Kite - Dual Line Stunt Parafoil just came in the mail that we are super excited to try.

• Like 2

Thank you. I borrowed the music, though.  :lol:

I am happy to help out if you guys have any questions or issues with your kites, or if you need a suggestion of where to fly on the island... I've flown in lots of spots, Suffolk , Nassau & the city.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RobB said:

Thank you. I borrowed the music, though.  :lol:

I am happy to help out if you guys have any questions or issues with your kites, or if you need a suggestion of where to fly on the island... I've flown in lots of spots, Suffolk , Nassau & the city.

Thanks so much!  Went to Cedar Beach the other day, had some minor success, but looking forward to more:)    If you see a lady and twin teens, it's probably us :)

• Like 1

Cedar Beach is the best spot I've found on the North Shore. Even though it requires me to drive, that's where I usually fly. West Meadow is pretty good, except when the wind is out of the East. 

I'll keep an eye out for you guys...

• Like 2