KiteLife Forum

Beamer MK45M

kevmort

Oh and I would definitely start small on power kites with kite killers , I’m teaching my mate to power kite and he started off on a cheep 2 meter 4 line and now on a 3.5 with harness slow and steady with no broken bones as yet , 3 years ago I broke 3 ribs in a buggy using only a 2 meter 4 line bearing in mind I’m only around 93 lbs lol

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

IMO at 95 lbs 2 meters is to big for you kevmort just to be sefty, if you do not use wheels of any kind and do not weight at least 150 lbs for static fly never go bigger then 3m. go 5m if you are really skilled and wind is constant around 4 with no gusts. even with a 3 meters on to a wind of 7 mph will be plenty high jumps and crazy pulling but again this is mi opinion based on personal experience with prism foils and beamers

Well I will admit my Beamer has only ever once taken me for a trip and that was from an unexpected large gust that stretched one power line by 8 inches but I never lost control and just enjoyed the ride , on the plus side I got a new set of lines and made some urban line sets up for my rev

8 inches stretch on beamer lines? beamars come with 250-300 lbs lines and V-power pack 400 lbs. at 93 lbs what you declared to have is practically impossible that to happen. even with line lose the gust initial shock can not be bigger then 200 lbs and have the chance to type on the keyboard now. if you had a belt and that happens on your buggy and broke your ribs next event with something bigger then 2 m may be the last. on your case all the time with any kite use handles is mi recommendation. better lose a kite then your life or worst.

In the right conditions ANY lines will stretch.. I had to re-equalize my Crossfire lines once after an intense buggy session. They were off a full 6 inches or so.  My first real power kite was the 2M Crossfire in the pictures followed by the 4M Crossfire a few weeks later.. My favorite powerkite to fly is my 8M Toxic..

4M Crossfire at the Rogallo festival a few years back.. piloted by Chris Shultz of HQ Kites..

I started out with a 3.8m2 Peter Lynn Reactor and got reefed around learning by myself, but gradually worked my way up in stronger winds over time in my home made buggy.

Yeh had the problem of stretching power lines on fixed bridal kites with lower poundage lines. Used Peter Lynn "Vapors" for years.

6.5m2 Vapor.

DSC_4290 (827x1024).jpg

13.4 Vapor

vapor (681x1024).jpg

It's the small kites that spank you in wild winds. So be careful.

Since going down the depower road (with thicker/stronger lines) it's the complete opposite with lines shrinking over time. Particularly the centre power lines. Up to 100mm shrinkage over time. I use pigtails to trim when needed.  

large_IMG_5469_jpg_450ca3500630b382eeec86c0a93e8f25.jpg

I haven't had any problems with my Ozone R1 power kites as I'm buggying and hotwired. (Kite is pulling on the buggys side rails) and I'm 250lbs. But others are reporting bridal shrinkage as well over time.

18m2 kite in 3 knots of wind equals 40kmh cruising along the beach.

large_IMG_5411_jpg_2a4a9d48ac9a2673fef6257d2f42a2b8.jpg

Or to up the pace to 93.4kmh a 7m2 Ozone R1and a Sysmic S2 buggy on Midi XL's.

I love any time out with a kite!!!!:D

• Like 3

Well the ribs was a rookie mistake on my first time out , went to make a turn and just as I started I stalled the kite momentum kept me turning and then a nice gust came along just as the kite was right in the power zone and half way between my left side and behind me and thud my side hit the side bars on the buggy right where I had forgotten to move my phone in my inside jacket pocket !!! Maybe my Libra buggy was not the best choice for the first time out !!! Lol IMG_4591.JPG

• Like 1