KiteLife Forum

Dust Devils

Breezin

Went out again for an hour. High winds stalled out till later tonight. Put up the Hydra on it's new 130# x 100' line set for the 1st time. Winds a little shifty between 1 and 12 mph. Had 2 weights in and not doing much tricking. Kite pancakes really well and got 2 really good roll ups at least for me. Was rocking the kite at the top of the window and heard a big gust coming. Went to right side of window as fast as I could. Kite was shuddering pretty hard with nose forward. Wind had to be above 15. Got to edge trying to go belly down nose forward when the wind twisted. Kite bounced twice and then headed towards me. Stepped in front of it thinking I could catch. Realized how stupid that was tossed the handles away and jumped back. Kite went pass at probably 20.Kite changed direction twice more and smacked the ground 4 more times. Was sure parts were broken and sail torn punctured or both. Wow no damage. Catching the kite could have damaged it but getting caught in the lines was a real threat. Even though it's not a power kite 130# line can still do damage. Going to the kite I was more worried about what I could have just done to myself. Thinking about the stories Iv'e read it was a foolish move. Been out in 30 mph and this is the 1st time scared. First twisty of the year and it sure won't be the last. Snapshot will relaunch and when I get a Lycos 1.2 it'll go 100 mph. Better not be foolish then!! Off to get the Addiction. It's tough :dual: