KiteLife Forum

Winders

KiteKouple

I have decided to replace my Yo Yo Winders with Carey I winders for my sleds. I currently have 2 of the Carey III Winders (Clarks' Crystal and 11' Delta) and they work really well. I do walk all my sleds down with a carabiner and am looking for quick line retrieval. Moving towards being more efficient with takedown time as per we usually have 6-9 sleds on beach at the same time.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I'm not familiar with the Carey winders. I use wooden bobbin type winders, They're tough, really unbreakable, unlike the plastic yoyo winders. They're easy to hold on to, and easy to tie the line off at any length you choose to fly. I don't use the crank handles to wind the kite down, I walk them down like you.

IMG_7957.jpg

• Like 1

Rob - Carey winders are very much like the Windbreakers, but without movable handles. I had thought of one for rolling up a long tail! But no one carries them anymore. Think they went out of business years ago. You find any - they were in the back hiding under something!!! Or folks just passed them by. Use to come in 2 sizes - small and large.

The added benefit to the WindBreaker is that you can hang onto the wooden 'ears' on either side for a strong grip with a hard pulling kite. They really wouldn't be too hard to make with basic tools & some wood. The crank handles might be a little tougher to recreate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeamVee said:

I do walk all my sleds down with a carabiner and am looking for quick line retrieval.

How much room do you have? I use extension cord reels, the kind with a frame, not the hand held winder. I haven't timed it, but I can wind up 150 foot of line fairly quickly- Definitely less than 2 minutes, probably closer to 1 minute.

Of course, they take up more room than a hoop winder, but space is not an issue for me. 

I have never used them in the sand. The ones I have don't have ball bearings to get gummed up. I don't know what kind of issues sand would cause.

You can put a lot of line on one. 500' of 500# is about a quarter full. The 300 feet of 6mm Paracord I have fits nicely on one. 

I do not fly kites off the reel. If I had a hold on the frame, I am sure a gust of wind would tear the reel right out/off.

• Like 1

@Kansas Flier We travel with 2 large duffle bags for kites and laundry. I have seen the extension cord reels and am saving that winder for the 81 Sled with 1100-1200 lb. line(future buy). After some research on the Carey I, it states that it winds over 1 foot per turn. I on average run with 250' per winder. I am attaching a picture of my set-up in sand. I went ahead and ordered the Carey I winders from my local shop and will changing them out.

SAND: 15" stake attached to 550 paracord for bigger kites (100-500 lb. line)

SAND: 10" stake attached to 550 paracord for smaller kites ( 1-100 lb. line)

GROUND: I am having ground stakes made land: 1/2 rebar at 19" with T handle

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3489.JPEG

• 2 weeks later...