KiteLife Forum

Kite Tail

KiteKouple

I am considering purchasing a new tail for my New Tech Kites Detonator (beginner kite) 54.5 x 28.5 in (138 x 72 cm). When I purchased it it has a plastic tail but that’s long long long gone.

I have a 20’ & 75’ Prism tube tail and also a 50’ Into The Wind plastic tube tail.

What I’m considering is a rip stop streamer tail (length???) for less drag.

Island Life | UFUV | Kite Life Subscriber 1482

Several options..

OSK has 2" wide Icarex tails 33' long for about $13 each

The Kite Shoppe has 1" x 40' Nexus Ribbon tails for about $7

g-Kites has several different options that should line u0p with your needs as well from Ribbon to Skywriter to transition tails..

Flymarket and Goodwinds also have several options to "make your own"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeamVee said:

I’ll head over to website and look at those options.

What length would you recommend Max length for the small kite?

Looking at plastic vs. ripstop and tube vs. streamer.

Island Life | UFUV | Kite Life Subscriber 1482

I let others familiar with the kite answer that question.. The reason I know about the tails and materials is, I make kites out of them.. Rarely do I actually fly with tails on the kites..

• Like 1

And if you want to go super cheap, head over to Home Depot and take a look at surveyors' tape, or over to Joann's Fabrics and check out the ribbon rack. I don't have any "good" tails, but I do carry a couple rolls of surveyors tape in my bag for when I get the urge.

• Like 5

On 4/3/2018 at 4:57 PM, TeamVee said:

What I’m considering is a rip stop streamer tail (length???) for less drag.

The "Dragonball" version's tail is two, one inch wide, thirty foot long, plastic streamers.  

I second makatakam's advice, 50-100 foot of surveyor's tape should make for some nice skywriting. 

21 hours ago, makatakam said:

head over to Home Depot and take a look at surveyors' tape

Agreed about using it as a narrow tail of custom length.  It works well.

Full price is about $5 for 600 feet, so you can get several.  That can mean tying on one strip or five,  a single color or a mix of colors.  If you're careful cleaning up you can reuse it.

If you've got the space in your bag and can handle the weight, some stakes (or perhaps several broken spars) coupled with surveyors' tape can also help discourage people from walking over your lines. I've got a set of stakes with about 150' of tape that I can set up when laying out my line. I use it when I'm in an area with occasional foot traffic and I'm set up for hours. When I land and step away I can put down my kite along the taped stakes so people are more likely to avoid them. (There are still some people who will walk through, break the tape, and trip over the lines, but they're the rare exception.)

• Like 1