KiteLife Forum

Welcome thebbqguy

Hello @thebbqguy,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

17 minutes ago, thebbqguy said:

Hello from the Suburban Detroit area.

I saw Windjammers a few years ago and then a couple more times in person and online.

I'm ready to try kite flying.

Hi, bbq, and welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you want to try stunt kiting, probably dual line. I've seen them and shared the field with them on many occasions. They frequent the festivals in the Midwest. Any questions you have can be answered here, and since you live in the  Detroit area, you can probably even find the Windjammers practicing in the area and get to know them. Heck, if you get good enough, who knows, you might even join them. Good people. Fun people. Just like all other kiters. Jump right in; the water's fine. If you can, get to the festival in Grand Haven this year. I'm sure they will be there as this year appears to be the last time this event will happen. I may go. I may see you there.

I saw the Windjammers at the Howell Balloon Festival several years ago the first time. I am glad I found this resource.

I thought about stopping by School Craft today but it's still pretty chilly.

I'll be bying a 2 line kite soon and maybe a single line too. 

• Like 1

Small parafoils are relatively inexpensive, have no hard parts to break, are easy to learn with, and with a good wind they zip around pretty qickl. They are a good way to learn basic 2-line control. The other option is to spend a bunch more and get a framed dual-line stunt kite that you can grow into, which will probably involve a couple of repairs as you get the hang of it. A single line kite flying while you play is a good way to keep an eye on what the wind is doing. 

It really doesn't matter how you start, because if you get into it you will end up owning one or more of everything. Within two years of buying the 10-foot single-line delta I started with, I had 27 assorted kites in my bag, including quads that became my addiction. 

Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe. I look forward to sharing a field with you.