KiteLife Forum

Is it better to start with single line kites?

thebbqguy

I have limited kite experience.

I'm considering a Prism Bora 5 or Isotope, but I'm wondering if I should go straight to precision or stunt kites; since it's fundamentally different pursuits.

Until I figure out my real level of enthusiasm and aptitude for kites I want to keep individual purchases under $100. I would be willing to purchase a few under $100 kites to try a few different styles.

How do you suggest I proceed?

I am new myself. Started researching 2 line stunt kites in Oct 2017 and the 1st week of Nov. got my 1st kite. A lot of folks here will say get the best you can afford and grow into the kite.I concur and my 1st kite was a Premier Widow ng. Moved on to the top of the line Widow Maker Pro but doubt I mastered 20% of what the Widow ng can do. I think a few with the total being $100.00 you will be disappointed. Around $100.00 a lot of folks will recommend the Prism Quantum. Never flown one but it's reputation is a tough kite. I have a Prism Zephyr but it's a very different kite. Love it.In the Prism line I think the Hypnotist versus Quantum is the better bang for the buck. Quantum is limited on tricks pretty quick but probably the top of the line starter kite.$100.00 I suggest Flying Wings Silver Fox 2.5 or 2.3 used or Premier Wolf or Addiction Pro new. If you are worried about breaking during the learning curve get used to it cause you will. I also got a Prism Snapshot 1.4 duel line foil that really helped in learning basic control. Virtually unbreakable, fast and fun. Still fly it because sometimes just bombing around is all I want to do. Iv'e had a Premier Nighthawk [older version of Wolf ng] and Addiction. Had a blast on those kites. Sold them and a few others to fund a Sky Sport Design vented kite. Wish I could have kept them. Go to the right and click on Into the Wind. They have a killer deal on the Hydra or Kymera. I got a Hydra and it is outstanding. They have a sul called the swift while maybe not the best gets you in the low wind game pretty cheap. They also sell the Beetle.See what you can budget but for $300.00 to $350.00 you can get a nice wind range of kites. SUL, UL, Standard and a foil for learning control and higher winds. Shop right and those 4 types of kites will take you a long way.Nothing worse than wanting to fly and you don't have a kite for the wind conditions. Look at used. It can be a risk but I have gotten 2 outstanding deals. 1 here and the other on the GWTW forum. I've followed close to 200 2nd hand kite transactions on these 2 forums and have not seen a thief in the mix.Speaks volumes about how much these forums are thought of.If you decide to get a cheap $30.00 to see if you like it at least you're flying.Remember though the better the kite the better the experience. Kinda like chocolate.Have fun.

• Like 1

Best way to handle your "how should I begin" dilemma is to fly someone else's kite. Tell us where you live, city & state, and we can guide you to someone in your area you can meet with, or to nearby festivals coming up this year. Kite people are a friendly bunch -- really, we don't bite -- and 99% of us would be more than willing to let you try one of ours and clue you in on how to use it, including a lesson or two. If you go to a festival, don't be afraid to ask questions or ask to try. We love being the center of attention and showing newcomers how much of an expert we are. 

Or you can just do what I did. Buy a single line kite. Two weeks later get a dual. Two months later get a quad. No matter what you do, you'll have fun. Just do it.

• Like 1

I flew single line kites for years before buying my first dual line. Looking back, I wish that I had gotten into dual line about 10 years before I did... I missed out on all that time, and it also happened to be the height of kiting's popularity.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://KiteLife mobile app

The smallest Synapse has inferior lines. It's worth going to the 170 if you can. The better lines can be used on trick kites if you go further up the food chain.If you haven't already look at some pics and vids of people stacking the Nexus. Neat stuff.

• Like 1

Is it worth replacing the lines on the 140?

In some of the video for the 170, I see folks getting dragged around pretty well. I'm not physically handicapped but my 50 year old knees have seen better days.

Or is it more a matter of knowing the conditions and not flying in higher winds?

9 hours ago, thebbqguy said:

I'm considering a Prism Bora 5 or Isotope, but I'm wondering if I should go straight to precision or stunt kites; since it's fundamentally different pursuits.

As much as I like Prism products, I would avoid the Isotope, they had an issue with the bridle, I don't know when, or if, they fixed it. The Bora is a great kite. I would suggest taking a look at the Triad. It's a lot of fun to fly. You fly it like a fighter kite, with the winder on the ground, line in your hands. And speaking of fighter kites, you might want to check them out too. And there are gliders, for those days when there is no wind, or you can fly indoors. The Wala XL is a good glider that can fly in 20 MPH winds. 

Kites do have a tendency to multiply. You have been warned.

• Like 2

Get a full size dual line kite, close to 96" tip to tip, in a modern design.  Even 90" would be considered nearly full size these days.  You'll do better for several reasons.  Just trust me on this. I have many, many kites. (Wow, I finally admitted it.)  It will fly better in general, fly in lighter wind & most importantly likely fly more slowly.  May cost a bit more but you're headed there eventually anyway. Not going to say told you so if you don't & do so later.  Going to say just follow your heart.  You'll find yourself there eventually if you like dualies.  Personally, I love em'.  SHBKF

• Like 2

My first Kite was a Bora 7. Then was a 4D. I feel like a Quantum was next. Then it got out of hand. 

The problem with budgets and kites is that small kites cost less, but fly faster, sometimes too fast for the beginner that wants to spend less. 

I would agree that the Synapse 170 is a better choice than the 140 for a beginner foil. I’d allow the Nexus, but would push the Quantum. 

I am an avid fisherman. I am learning kites are like fishing equipment. LOL.

You can spend less, but you may actually end up spending more down the road.

I'm looking at Premier too. 

What do you think of New Addiction?

2 hours ago, thebbqguy said:

I am an avid fisherman. I am learning kites are like fishing equipment. LOL.

You can spend less, but you may actually end up spending more down the road.

I'm looking at Premier too. 

What do you think of New Addiction?

I am an avid fisherman fishing addict. I am also a kite addict. You will find that there are as many species of wind as there are fish, and they are just as elusive. The equipment you can use to catch them is as simple or as complicated as you wish to make it, just as it is in fishing. Your approach to the pastime and the equipment you use will be determined by, and exponential to, the amount of joy derived from the pursuit, and the level of addiction therein.

Just as in fishing, the best advice to give anyone who is just starting is "good luck!", and therefore I wish you the best of luck. You're gonna need it.

Smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

P.S. -- I've tried most, but prefer smallies and Revs. (and fossils)

Loved my Addiction.It's pretty fast. The new design is the Addiction Pro. Really want one. SHBKF advice is gold. I'll list what I did since starting in November. Not a bad kite in the bunch. Widow ng, Nighthawk, Addiction, Jewel, Micron, Jet Stream Speed Reloaded, Zephyr, Hydra, Pro Dancer. Widow Maker Pro, Mind Trick, GFK 1.4, Snapshot 1.4 and Black Dog. After discussions with the Mrs. this is the duel lines I have for the next year of learning. Pro Dancer SUL, Zephyr UL, Widow Maker Pro STD, Hydra STD, Mind Trick vented and Snapshot 1.4. These kites will take me as far as I can go. Where that is we'll see. Couldn't stand the thought of advancing to the point where  I could blame my failures on the kites. With these kites that potential excuse is removed and will  never exist. But then I want to fly like those guys :devil:. Think it's a well rounded quiver of kites.I don't know though. That Benson Super Fly is sure looking shall I say FLY.

LOL.

And I'm worrying over a single kite or two. 

I'm going to drop buy the kite store and let the expert guide me I guess. It sounds like I need to cut back on fishing if I decide to get serious about learning dual line kites.

22 hours ago, thebbqguy said:

LOL.

And I'm worrying over a single kite or two. 

I'm going to drop buy the kite store and let the expert guide me I guess. It sounds like I need to cut back on fishing if I decide to get serious about learning dual line kites.

Hell no! You take a rod or two and a kite or two. No wind? Fish. No fish? Fly. Simple solution. Sometimes both are good. Win/win. Twice the smiles.

Once in a while -- No fish, no wind. Beer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, makatakam said:

Hell no! You take a rod or two and a kite or two. No wind? Fish. No fish? Fly. Simple solution. Sometimes both are good. Win/win. Twice the smiles.

Once in a while -- No fish, no wind. Beer.

That's exactly why I decided to get into kites. There is a lot of downtime in my chosen species of fishing sometimes.

Kite Aliens? Is that where Prism came up with the Alien design? Honest my dear I really didn't want another kite. The dreaded Kite Aliens made me do it. No,no I don't need my head examined I read about them on Kite Life. How dare you suggest such a thing !! Of course they're real !!  Yeah I know, alright, okay. Yes I'll make the appointment with the shrink tomorrow. Sigh. My things can sure get strange in a hurry.

7 hours ago, makatakam said:

_._   _.   ...._   _._   _ _._   _     kn4kqt -- I don't get it. Communicating with kite aliens?

I am beginning to learn international morse code.  That is my amateur radio license in morse code.  In phonetics it would be" Kilo November Four Kilo Quebec Tango", quite a mouthful & difficult for other hams to get on the first try when I am transmitting on SSB.   I recently got my ticket as a General class operator.  Kind of a "secret handshake" for anyone out there listening in the ether.....  But you likely figured it out.  Currently running only a hundred watt station so even SETI may have a hard time hearing me.  Too bad I can't get SHBKF as a call sign.

Quite a bit off topic, I digress, SHBKF

Aleleeann (181x200).jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No wrong way to go genre-wise... Single, dual, quad, all surfaces on the wind, each with a little more “on the fly” ability to interact with and fully control what you’re connected to - plenty of videos around, get the genre who’s obvious speed and style appeals to you, pick two. or one of each from each if you can, they’re all amazing (assuming the kite is tuned well, etc). :)