KiteLife Forum

Loving the Quantum

Twin Roses

I just wanted to thank so many of you for the Prism Quantum recommendation for our first "real" dlk.  After cold weather and a virus that hit us hard, we finally got to fly it today...well, I should say my 13 y/o flew it 99% of the time with a huge smile.  Yep, a few lawn darting crashes, but lots of fun, especially after we through the 75ft. tail on.   Maybe a bit too breezy for our first time today, about 12mph winds,  but still had a blast.  I did notice when we wound inthe lines after that one line had stretched a good 2 feet, but I think the handles have some sort of way to re-knot and correct that.  Do you think we did something wrong to cause that kind of uneven stretch?

Now waiting for a low wind day for the 4-D.

I hope everyone had a chance to enjoy some flight time this weekend :)

13.04 Years Old Prism Quantum with Tail.jpg

• Like 6

OMG... So sorry this was your first day out. It was so unpleasant today, I didn't think of venturing out. Oh, ok, I took the kids and dogs for a walk around town, but couldn't help but to think about how unpleasant it must be at the beach! Sorry, I've becOme quite the wind snob recently. Glad to hear you guys had a good session... Hope to catch up with y'all next time !

Sent from my [device_name] using http://KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Awesome! Sounds like a success. 

Lines will stretch, especially at first. 2 feet might be on the high side. However, if you discovered the 2' difference at the end of winding up, it might not actually be that bad. As you wind, it is easy to not get exactly the same amount of line from each line in each wind. Or you may possibly have accidentally dropped one wind on one line. That will make a big difference. So, check the line lengths again after you have unwound the line before your next flight. And when you do that, it's best to have the two loops on the far end of the lines placed together on a stake, a helper's finger, or something similar instead of being attached to the kite. Good luck. 

:dual:

• Like 3

Yep - the stake method is good. Stake down both lines and then see a side by side comparison.. You do this in a yard (if room), a field, or the beach. But I would suggest it before your next flight. It is possible that everyone is putting strain on one line by being a certain "handed" right or left, but comparing length while still hooked to the kite might throw you off. After shortening the long line, try switching to see if the other stretches too. JB has a great tutorial on line equalizing for quads - same applies to dual line  kites too.

• Like 1

Thanks Dragonfish and Wayne :)  I will definitely give the staking technique a try in our yard before we head out again.  Thanks so much for the advice!

Interesting on the handedness.  My one daughter is a righty who was flying yesterday.  I'll have to put her identical twin (but a lefty)  on the kite and see if she has the opposite effect!

• Like 1

That bugs been kicking my butt since Thursday. Hopefully I can fly this afternoon. It's been hack,hack here have a lung. Apparently I don't need it anymore. We're advised to stretch new lines and equalize before 1st flight. Finally started doing that on my last 3 sets. Lot less pain in the brain. I was nervous and really over thought the process the 1st few times.Had knots slip and even come undone. Few snarls too. After one of those Makatakam moments I remembered to breath and the simplicity came into focus. Piece of cake now. My Prism lines stretched a lot. Doesn't mean you got poor lines. It's been explained to me most kite assembly lines will not stretch flying lines due to labor cost.Pain in the neck but makes sense since it is easy  to do.The experts tell us to practice tricks equally on both sides so we become more ambidextrous in our flying. Do a axle with your left then your right and so on. Lessen that effect Wayne is talking about and makes us better fliers. Having  left and right handed newbies at the same starting point is going to be a real advantages for you folks.I'm still working on not being right hand dominate. When I get in the zone I forget and most everything starts out from my right side.Still have to pause a lot and make the left side of my body lead.Glad you and yours 1st flights were good ones. Can't hardly tell from the excellent avatar that the poor kite was nose dived a few times LOL.

• Like 1

Thanks Breezin!  Looks like I will have to work up the courage to do some stretching...stil hoping that I just wound them unevenly;)  But it'll be good for me to learn how to do them on my next set, and the next one, and the next one :)  Shhhh, don't tellthe hubby I said that.

Good thing about having my daughter pilot was that I was able to take photos, I'm liking that new avatar pic too:) And the 75ft. tail is soooo much fun to watch!

The odds of the line stretching two feet are "slim, to none", literally. The most likely explanation is missing a loop or two when winding, an assembly error by whoever made the lineset, or a manufacturing inconsistency in the weave that wasn't noticed. Check the shorter line to make sure you haven't inadvertently tied any knots in it that you didn't notice. Sometimes you end with a knot when you move or drag the lines around, which is common.  Do stretch both lines, paying special attention to the one that ended up shorter. If the difference after stretching them is more than 1/4 inch, untie the end loop and adjust. This can be done on the field, but the first time or two you should do it at home unless you have no choice. If the difference in length is 1/2 inch or less, you can shorten the long line by tying a knot in the loop as close to the others as possible. Each knot you tie will shorten the line up to 1/2 inch depending on the thickness of the line and sleeving (if any) combined. This is a good cheater method than can be quickly done on the field, and I have used it as a permanent fix for years now with no issues, even with quads to shorten 3 out of 4 lines. If you have any questions about making the adjustment, ask.

Or you can just screw this crap and go fly when Rob can make it.

The avatar looks great. I have sent the hubby an email telling him you intend to buy many more kites and he says it's ok as long as you buy some for him also.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 6:37 PM, Twin Roses said:

I did notice when we wound in the lines after that one line had stretched a good 2 feet, but I think the handles have some sort of way to re-knot and correct that.  Do you think we did something wrong to cause that kind of uneven stretch?

If the lines would have stretched out while in flight, this would have been immediately noticeable to the pilot. As a pilot with experience, when my lines, or more accurately one side of the set, stretched, I found it difficult to fly; for a beginner, it would be downright frustrating and learning to fly would be very difficult. If the last person flying didn't have this experience, then your lines are probably fine. 

If the lines are uneven, try stretching out the other line.  I fixed a "Stock" line set(shortened the longer, stretched line) only to have the other line stretch out on the next flight. Since then, I have pretty much sworn off stock line sets.

Which brings me to my two cents: Buy some good line sets. Use the stock sets when you are flying in "grabby" grass or stickers or when you are flying around a bunch of small children with SLK's, like at a kite festival. 

Final note: Most SLK lines will cut through your dual lines very easily.  If it's a runaway kite with cheap-o kite string, it will be like a hot knife through warm butter..

ETA: The cause for the line stretching in my case was flying it winds that were gusting in excess of the kites wind range. If it did stretch, you didn't do anything wrong to cause the lines to stretch, other than flying the kite, and that is kinda the point of having a kite. I broke a 100# Skybond line while flying my Quantum in some pretty gusty winds.

• Like 1

Many thanks also to Makatakam and Kansas Flier :)  I really love this forum, you guys rock with the insight!

Based on all the info, I really think I must have wound the lines in wrong.  Didn't get a chance to check by staking today, but will let you know what I find when I do.

And lol Makatakam, thanks for notifying the hubby!

great kite for speed and make people looking up. is a real noise maker and on higher then 7 mph a tube tail is adding an extra WOW to. Mi wife love hers Citrus Quantum. one recommendation if i may, on winds higher then 15 mph be sure you use 200# lines.i fish last year the kite from almost a mile in lake Michigan after 150# line give up in 17 mph also do not loose your junior from your eye site and teach it to let go one line on front to hold on.

• Like 1

The Quantum is a hard pulling kite, and in 15+mph winds, I'm not surprised the lines stretched. I have heard of Prism lines being off, right out of the box. Maybe as much as 6"... I would expect lines to stretch maybe 3". There is something terribly wrong if yours are off by 24", that's for sure. Like was said above, you need to stake these lines down, stretch them out and compare the loops at the other side. An inch or less of difference is what you're looking for, if the difference is more than an inch, you'll need to untie, adjust and retie. No fun, but it's gotta be done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobB said:

An inch or less of difference is what you're looking for, if the difference is more than an inch, you'll need to untie, adjust and retie. No fun, but it's gotta be done.

Wow, an inch would drive me crazy. I'm not saying it would be hard to fly, just that the difference in turns, speed and radius, with the same inputs would be very annoying to me, and I'm pretty lame with dual-line kites. I start looking for what makes a kite move differently to the left than it does to the right as soon as I discover the inconsistency. I don't want to deal with repairs, so I try to find the cause 'cause the cause may cause a crash. (the devil made me do it)

• Like 3

I can easily deal with lines that are up to 3" off, but would prefer them to be exact. Not that it really makes my flying any better, but it eliminates the excuse...

That being said, I'm not a precision flier. I just free-fly for the fun, whatever comes out, as long as it doesn't involve unintentional ground contact !

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Even lines (fully stretched in, equalized from a solid object at the other end) are a beautiful thing - who wants their alignment badly out of whack on the road? No different. :)

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the bottom lines of a quad, particularly sensitive to offsets here.

• Like 1

Life has gotten in the way of kite flying:(  Still have not had time to even those lines out.  But hopefully soon!  This is my busy season (educational evaluator) so I'm hoping to steal some time away from all that and fly!

• Like 1