KiteLife Forum

Material for Rokkaku- kids paint

Mike Klaiber

There is a kit that is exactly what you're looking for... My family got me one for father's day a few years ago. They never finished the artwork, so I can't say how well it turned out. The rest of the assembly looked pretty easy, and the sail material was similar to Tyvek.

• Thanks 1

If you use ripstop, either nylon or poly, you can't use ordinary paints. They just crumble and fall off. Dyes are used to color these materials and must soak into the fabric to become permanent. If they merely adhere to the surface, they too will crumble and fall off.

DSCN2637.JPG

This kite was sprayed using silk flower spray. If you look closely you will see it coming off in the areas that get the most wear/folding. I tried to fix it using solvent, but that just made it uglier. That's the smudged-looking spots.

So, if you want something permanent stick with sail fabric that accepts coloring well. Test samples would be a good way to go.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know much about making kites or material, but I do know a bit about this topic. I was recently gifted my first Rokkaku kite kit from Ronda Brewer and it's terrific! It's a no-sew kit with everything you need to complete the kite, clear step by step assembly instructions, including info about different ways to decorate the sail, and detailed instructions to bridle the kite. It's awesome!
http://www.phantomstardesign.com/web_pages/product_pages/kite_kits/rokkaku/rokkaku_kit_main.htm

It's Tyvek, and can be painted, spray painted, or colored with a Sharpie.
Ronda painted her first Rok over ten years ago and it still looks good, and she battles with it often.
The Tyvek is super durable and holds color really well.
I used Sharpie on mine and I love it!
Hope this helps, good luck, and have fun with your grandkids!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

If you use ripstop, either nylon or poly, you can't use ordinary paints. They just crumble and fall off. Dyes are used to color these materials and must soak into the fabric to become permanent. If they merely adhere to the surface, they too will crumble and fall off.
DSCN2637.thumb.JPG.54301d776d1cf4090cede4b9104fbfec.JPG
This kite was sprayed using silk flower spray. If you look closely you will see it coming off in the areas that get the most wear/folding. I tried to fix it using solvent, but that just made it uglier. That's the smudged-looking spots.
So, if you want something permanent stick with sail fabric that accepts coloring well. Test samples would be a good way to go.

I love your kite! The color fade looks so awesome!!!

• Like 2

Another great resource for kite kits is one of our KiteLife sponsors, at http://www.kitekits.com

Gotta support sponsors when possible, ordered and looking forward to flying at our kite festival coming us soon. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, wakechick said:

I love your kite! The color fade looks so awesome!!!

Thank you. It's five colors of silk flower paint. Navy blue, violet, purple, burgundy and scarlet, in that sequence from top to bottom in a slight arc. The white lattice pattern was made by 2" strips of 3M blue painters tape. Super easy. The whole job took less than an hour. It only looks like a lot of work.

• Like 1