KiteLife Forum

Kite for my son

acckl

I'm looking for a single-line kite for my son that will fly easily under low-wind conditions. After a frustrating experience with a cheap toys-r-us kite, I'm looking for something better. I've come across this one so far. Does anyone have experience with this kite, or can anyone suggest anything else? Thanks.

Depending on the age and preferences of your son, but you might consider one of the "figure" delta kites like these: http://gwtw-kites.com/showproduct.asp?Prod...asy+Flyer+Large

Delta shaped kites are always a good bet, as they are very stable in flight and don't have a tremendous amount of pull. If you get one, be sure to slide the leading edge rods down all the way to the trailing edge of the kite, when you fly. Those rods hold the sail open and flat, maximizing the amount of sail in use.

Thanks for that suggestion, Dorsal. I was drawn to the Rainbow Delta kite in my OP because it was listed with a wind rating of 3-20 mph, and I need this to be able to fly without much wind. The easy flyer lists 5-18, and I was wondering if this number should be taken with a grain of salt or if this kite really needs 60% more wind to fly properly.

The wind ranges you mention are probably correct. The delta has a 6 foot wing span where the ez flyer is only about 3-4 feet. The larger kite will fly in less wind.

That doesn't necessarily mean it is easier to fly in less wind, just that it is capable of being flown with the right technique in those winds. Flying the delta in 3-4 mph winds may take a little bit more work and may not have a huge "fun" factor but it will fly and once it gets into the air it should stay there very well. One thing about super light wind is that if the wind does drop out just a little bit, there is nothing at all to keep the kite in the air. A super steady 3-4 mph wind and the kite should be fine, if it is gusty or has a lot of holes in the wind, it may be frustrating to put up. If the wind is averaging 6-7 mph then no problem with gusts, even in the lulls it should only drop down to 3-4 so you would be fine. The EZ flyers are very easy to fly and they fly extremly well. If the wind is 5-8 mph, both kites should go up in the air without even thinking about it and stay there until you are ready to haul it back in.

the delta and ez flier are both good starter kites. they are light pulling for kids and it will give you both a good idea on how kites are flown the ez flier has a built in tail but a delta doesnt just rember if you choose a delta to get A TAIL for stronger winds ant to keep the kite more stable

• 1 year later...

the 6 or 8 foot delta is the best for a starter its what i got as my first kite years ago as a little kid in the early 70s they make bigger 12 and 19 foot deltas get a big and small one as a father n son package lol you ll both love it better that way.. i take a small one and tie it to my son.s stroller when we are at the beach

• 1 month later...