Lately I've been playing with pulling stills out of video and overlaying the frames to have a still image "show" motion.. Thought I'd share the efforts. Some of these you have seen. Some are new but from older footage.
I've been asked about what I use to do particular things for kite making. Thought it'd be a good opportunity to share a quick overview of pretty much everything I use. Some are more obvious than others.
My kite making tools..
I use a sewing machine (obviously)
2 - 6' Long Metal rulers
2 - 3' Long Metal Rulers
1 - 18" Ruler (metal)
1 - 12" Ruler (metal)
A Fiskars Rotary cutter.
A Paper Cutter (Office Style)
The normal assortment of Scissors (Including a heavy duty pair for
I don't have pictures of them all but 26 kites were finished in 2018. No kites from tails this year. all from either RSN or Icarex. A few meshes and a couple of very unique attempts at doing something new. I'm not counting the one I considered failures that became flags. I'm blogging it here to keep from blasting out the gallery.. You seen probably most of these pictures before.
Finished my latest Diamond Mesh Mashup and wanted to give it a good bridle check. Winds less then 5MPH and kite designed for 3-4 times that so was indeed a challenge. Hopefully winds tomorrow will support a bit of video.. Pleased with the kite so far..
Anxious to try my new Djinn, I contacted @Khal to see if we could meet and fly today. Yesterday at Atlantic Beach was nice but the winds were far too high to consider a full sail. Today our normal flying location wa a bit gusty and more the mid-vent range but very flyable.
We met and started flying not only my new Djinn but the Phoenix Mid-Vent as well as my Trick or Treat kite. All in all it was a nice day to fly with variable and a bit gusty winds at times. A few of Khal's kites also expe
Just a short <90 second clip to share how I get to see the Diamonds pattern emerge from a striped sail each time. This is when I get to truly see the stage I call the "mock up" and is the first real indicator of how the final kite will appear.. Until this point the pattern is truly just in my head.
The Layout from the initial stripes isn't a mockup. it allows me to see the color mix but not the actual placement of segments. This difference is far more prevalent whe
So I found an older colorizer over on GWTW and adapted it for the diamonds design.. It's not web based but gives me a pretty good idea of how I can set up my color schemes. Here are a few quick samples.
This commissioned sail has been completed and is ready for initial flight tests.. this one is as close to an exact 1.5 size as I could make it and still be faithful to the diamonds techniquen. I don't usually make an exact 1.5 size and the sail isn't as tight as one would expect but a simple glide test was surprising. Bungees are left long for the moment to allow a bit of tweaking if required. This sail has the wear strips, LE Tabs, fold relief and is set up to allow French bridles and magic sti
Going off of the look of the Scrapestry, I decided to use the new batch of scraps to do an all color kite.. Some of the scraps were neutral White and Charcoal but I based the placement on the size of the scraps and not the color. Crazy Quilt has begun..
Added Leading Edges to Scrapestry and Purple Fade this morning..Touch of Blue Leading Edge was done last week and posted. Sunset fade MIGHT be taking a different route to leave more camber and sail area. It may end up being more of a light wind kite for me..In short, there's a bit of sail there that is "extra" and I'm deciding if I want to leave it oversize or trim it down to standard 1.5 dimensions.