KiteLife Forum

KAP - Kite Aerial Photography

Want to know about taking aerial photographs or video, or want to share some experiences? Do it here!

76 topics in this forum

• 5 replies
  1. Eyes in the sky 1 2

• 33 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 17 replies
  2. Assistance Needed

• 13 replies
    • 9 replies
  3. Beach Photography

• 9 replies
    • 9 replies
  4. Kap'n Halloween !

• 9 replies
    • 8 replies
  5. EverBank Field

• 7 replies
  6. High Flying

• 7 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 6 replies
  7. Vintage KAP

• 5 replies
  8. Testing...1.2..3...

• 5 replies
  9. Never Say Never

• 5 replies
    • 5 replies
  10. Vivitar Lifecam

• 5 replies
    • 4 replies
  11. KAP'n at Captree...

• 4 replies
  12. .....continued

• 4 replies
  13. Beautiful photos about Dieu Sao

• 4 replies
  • Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Popular Contributors

• Latest Topics

• Latest Posts

• I remember wondering the same thing - wanting to know more about the wind when I took up kiting. I felt I didn’t have a clue and of course measuring the wind seemed so important. I mean we are talking kites here! The driving force! I even got a Dwyer wind meter at one time, used it a few times, and now don’t even know where it is. These days I check a couple of hourly forecasts on my phone, look out the window at the trees in my back yard, and pack along a slew of kites (or perhaps just one) for the walk down the street to the soccer/flying field. The actual conditions at the field can vary from the forecast (it’s weather!) and even what it says right now can be off. As important, is that the wind at face level is usually, although not always, different than say at 30 feet or 85 feet elevation. (Please note that I fly inland so don’t have as often the joys of a constant steady ocean breeze. Although I have read of them.) In respect of wind direction: I have the benefit of a flag up on top of a six storey building that is perhaps 1/2 kilometere away from the field. But that is just an indicator, too, as it can differ by 90 degrees at ground level where my kite is set up. I used to set up a little pole with a streamer, but I don’t bother with that any more either… With time the senses on the hairs on the back of your neck will suffice to assess the wind. And getting there is half the fun.😉  .
    • Dosent work for me either 
    • Hi Edmond, thank you for the Link. I know that one .. im looking for old Original TOTL models .. Thanks - Max
    • Most of the info to figure a lot of those things out is already in there.   I just added that the guide was for framed dual line kites, I put a section about kite line pull and kite size relative to wind. I think that is a relevant factor for kite speed and pull. Figuring out what wind speed is safe to fly in or allow someone to fly in is one of the main relevant factors for pull and is an important safety consideration for smaller, lighter, or weaker people etc. There are virtually unlimited variable safety risks to any activity including kite flying. I think that adult supervision for children that fly kites is the responsibility of the guardian or parents. The guardian is responsible for knowing and factoring in the safety risks and deciding if they are acceptable and then supervising and monitoring them. If they aren't capable of researching and considering the risks and applying safe flying protocols, they probably should not fly or allow their kids to fly or do anything outside of a bubble, and maybe they shouldn't be allowed to be responsible for a child either.   I think if I have to provide a safety disclaimer for this guide that I will probably just delete it, as a disclaimer isn't going to give anyone common sense that doesn't have it already.    Ultimately a person has to use reasoning and information that is available here and there to choose a kite, and will have to do their own due diligence and risk assessment on the safety aspects of kite flying.    
    • I am looking for recommendations for flying fields, and found http://www.kitemap.org/ through this site. Unfortunately the map is showing up with a spinning wheel and a blank box. Also, if I go directly to a like for a location I am getting a "Error 404 - Page not found!" error. Is the site still functional?