KiteLife Forum

Kite Making

Discuss kite making techniques, styles and applications here!

108 topics in this forum

• 35 replies
  1. Framing mesh kites?

• 7 replies
  2. Which one??

• 36 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 7 replies
  3. The next burrito!

• 17 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 36 replies
  4. Bowtie remedies

• 6 replies
  5. Widow's Mesh

• 23 replies
  6. Icarex

• 120 replies
  7. Next project.

• 21 replies
    • 20 replies
    • 24 replies
  8. New guy's first kite

• 34 replies
    • 11 replies
  9. Diamonds Squared

• 6 replies
  10. New Project - New Mix

• 20 replies
  11. Trick or Treat

• 16 replies
  12. My Arizona quad

• 3 replies
  13. Diamonds Colorizer

• 5 replies
  14. It's in the Bag

• 1 reply
  • Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Popular Contributors

• Latest Topics

• Latest Posts

• Hey all this is Baileydl79, I use to run around on the Revkites forum under nobodyspecial for a minute, former east coaster now in DFW area.
    • I use a tapered 2P in my 1.5 SULs as the vertical.   Heck I even have a set for my Zen (oh man are they ever delicate, NO hard flailing allowed) The one I prefer is called a "Response" it's painted and silky smooth finished, alas long since discontinued too.  I have 'em in different strengths.  Like a set in my Shook Mesh Hybrid 75%.  It carries the 150 CLX fat spars in the LE (more curvature OVER the leading edge make a better glide, ~ like a frisbee compared to a dinner plate) The SULs get one that weighs 12 grams @ 32-1/2 inches long.  I cut down the FAT end to fit, keeping as much bottom strength as possible.  The tube is also reinforced thru the use of Magic Sticks pushing from the other side. "Response 12" Through the use of a tapered down spar you have effectively pushed more weight towards the LE, in my opinion that always helps create a better glide.  Add a little momentum and you can fly when others struggle.  something for nothing! You can go further to the outside edge of the wind window too. Keep the hard flailers away or at least warn 'em, if you've framed very light w/tapered tubes These tubes were blemished and got 'em for a like 2 bucks a piece, easily 15 years ago.  So although delicate don't think they aren't durable.  Skyshark makes a great product for a profoundly ridiculously low price. Try a set of their fat tubes (CLX-150's?) too.  The whole frame is like $36.  Insane value, I mostly only use the LE unless it's really bookin' outside. NOTE:  This tube REQUIRES Rev end caps, other knock-off brand caps will have to be swapped out. Experimenting with the "travel-frame format" allows even more personal adjustments to be found.  Plus it breaks down smaller
    • Here are some kite aerial shots of Ormož Basins Nature Reserve, an important bird sancutary in Prlekija region of Slovenia. Please read a sweet story about nature conservationists and heavy agroindustry working together to preserve a truly special ecosystem!    
    • Glad meet you  also. Or maybe it was remeet?  Anyway, riff probably has more info on those SkySharks than I do. I know Rev, others, not so much.
    • Only going to use tapered rods in the verticals on one kite. Every thing else will be standard frames. I'll  probably order some Px 2&3 frames in red or camo. Whatever is available. Thanks for the input. And thanks Wayne for the indoor lessons. It was nice to meet you.