KiteLife Forum

Kite Making

Discuss kite making techniques, styles and applications here!

110 topics in this forum

• 35 replies
  1. The next burrito!

• 23 replies
  2. Which one??

• 39 replies
  3. Up to date information

• 2 replies
    • 13 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 36 replies
  4. Bowtie remedies

• 6 replies
  5. Widow's Mesh

• 23 replies
  6. Icarex

• 120 replies
  7. Next project.

• 21 replies
    • 20 replies
    • 24 replies
  8. New guy's first kite

• 34 replies
    • 11 replies
  9. Diamonds Squared

• 6 replies
  10. New Project - New Mix

• 20 replies
  11. Trick or Treat

• 16 replies
  12. My Arizona quad

• 3 replies
  • Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Popular Contributors

• Latest Topics

• Latest Posts

• Hello @Gene Kelley, Welcome to KiteLife®! Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Need to tweak settings? Edit your profile here - View Member Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/ Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for... Member Chat Member Map KL Shop And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life!
    • That's 8000 posts on this incarnation. From reading of all the old posts, it seems the old forum was retired around 2004 and this one put up, but the old content was lost rather than migrated to the new forums.  I always wonder what was lost in transitions like that.
    • Find some wind forecasts in your area.  Some suggestions: windfinder.com, it has an hourly forecast with both average and gusts for 3 days out, and rough estimates for 7 days out.  If you're lucky you can find a weather station near where you fly. windy.com, it has similar data of average speeds and gusts, but with different forecast models, and not so much of a point forecast. willyweather has both average wind (https://wind.willyweather.co.uk/nw/greater-manchester/wigan.html) and UV (https://uv.willyweather.co.uk/nw/greater-manchester/wigan.html) although if you're far enough north the UV index and sunburn are less of a concern. I also use the US national weather service hourly forecast graphs, but they won't give you the data you need in the UK.   The forecasts aren't perfect, but they are a good guide to find must-fly days and days not to bother.  In addition to the forecasts, having a range of kites can help.  You can get kites that fly in very light wind, no wind (and indoors!) and kites that can be reasonably controlled even in dangerously strong winds.  Thus even if the forecast is wrong, and you get to the flying fields to discover calm air, you can pull a super ultralight or indoor kite from your bag.
    • Good. There were some shops wanting more