KiteLife Forum

Open Topic

Personal announcements, general kite stuff or what have you, if it doesn't easily fit into one of the main discussion topics or kite classifications, this is the place for you.

442 topics in this forum

• 3 replies
  1. kite club

• 3 replies
  2. The Kite Shoppe site

• 5 replies
    • 10 replies
  3. Is it true?

• 7 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 11 replies
  4. Scott Weider in the news

• 4 replies
  5. You might be a kite nut. 1 2 3 4

• 75 replies
    • 16 replies
  6. WSIKF motel

• 7 replies
  7. Kite Flying Popularity 1 2

• 30 replies
    • 6 replies
  8. new kite club

• 0 replies
    • 7 replies
  9. Kite lines

• 17 replies
  10. Lincoln City Kite Festival

• 4 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 1 reply
  11. Speedkites

• 24 replies
  12. Wildwood Festival

• 15 replies
    • 7 replies
  • Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Popular Contributors

• Latest Topics

• Latest Posts

• Practice day six of this.  I can now feel and see a transition.  Here is an edited video this time, five minutes long, with some comments I added for what I suspect at various points. I'll still take comments on those if you see something different. There is a moment of transition where one of several options tend to happen: Top side moves in reverse, bottom side stays put. Usually this seems to need more pressure. Kite doesn't have power to move, slides down or stays stationary. Needs more foot power for pressure. Kite moves in reverse, but bottom wing reverses rapidly and swings up, turning the kite to face the ground. I have discovered I need to push forward drive hard on the bottom side while pushing reverse on the top side. Top side moves more rapidly into reverse pulling the kite back to level, or entire top half of wing pulls in toward me. Too much pull on the top side of the wing. Or, SUCCESS, sail catches the air and moves in reverse. That moment happens at the apex of a stall.  If it has too much momentum #3 or #4 will happen. If it doesn't have pressure #1 or #2 happens. If I turn too strong or too weak #2, 3, or 4 happens.  If I get all of them right, the center body of the sail inflates and the kite moves powerfully in reverse.  In today's practice I could frequently, but not always and not reliably, fly in reverse. I can also feel and see the transition point that was invisible to me before.   I think a few days of feeling the different conditions and gaining a more intuitive / automatic feel for the required motion should bring me to reliably completing the action. It's a small addition I think, but it was hard to overcome so it feels like a huge success.
    • Help I think I’m addicted. This came home with me today...... Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
    • Thanks Wayne for your input and suggestions, I will certainly take them under consideration.
    • I would suggest P-100 in the full sail, P-300 in the mid, and P-400 in the full vent. Reason - verticals take the most strain of all the frame pieces. LE loads are distributed evenly by your bridle, the verts are only supported at the ends. Better off stronger to be safe, especially if new. Easy to put up the "wrong" sail and blow things out, risking a broken spar, or worse, a tear. Weight is really not a big factor, you are only talking a few grams, not ounces. Rev's quality control was never super strict anyway, rods varied by a lot, even in the same set. What you end up looking for is that consistency of flex, not the weight.