Scheduled Events

Post your event dates and details here, please be sure to include contact information to reach the organizers... You can also add it to our calender here.

Topic Guidelines

While we welcome any posting of a scheduled kite festival, competition, fun fly or plain old get together, we heartily recommend you ALSO add such events to the calendar on this forum... Any events coming for 90 days in the future are shown at the bottom of the main forum page, and you can include a great deal of information if you wish.

251 topics in this forum

• 4 replies
    • 44 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 8 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 196 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 8 replies
    • 80 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
    • 4 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 3 replies
    • 207 replies
    • 20 replies
    • 90 replies
    • 5 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 3 replies
  • Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Popular Contributors

• Latest Topics

• Latest Posts

• I just use little pig tails so I can remove the lines easily on all my kites. Particularly on my power kite lines when I'm wearing gloves it makes it so simple to do.  Short bits of 150 lb dyneema fishing line with a simple overhand knot, sealed with a cigarette lighter and larks headed on.
    • You're ready for a mesh kite progressive stack!, leave half of the fabric strips out a couple Vickis or 135%s, followed by two 100% and finally a couple of 75s and two 40%ers to bring up the rear
    • Hi all!

Exactly one year ago we first let our blue Rokkaku fly with a camera suspended from it. We had so much fun flying, experimenting, learning ... It was a great year and we've compiled an article on Medium about kite aerial photography in general, with some thoughts, personal experiences, tips - and a lot of photos - hoping to inspire and popularize KAP. Every comment, suggestion  - and critique - is gretly appreciated ...  😉
    • The little cheater knot at the end of the loop looks like this:
      It gives a tiny little piece that is easier to grab when untying the lark's head knot. As for having the kite flip, as they wrote it comes with practice.  5-10 hours of practice should give basic control, many people can get it with a full day at the beach.  Another 30-50 hours should give you enough control that you can put the kite wherever you'd like, and another 50 hours of practice should get all the fundamentals in place. Some skills take longer than others. For me, I kept having troubles with inverted flying. The kite would flip just as you described, or lose all power.  After showing people and recording videos of it, people said I was doing everything basically right and just needed more practice.  It took me about twelve hours of practice (spread across multiple flying days) focusing on inverted flying and then I could fly inverted as much as wanted.   Pick a skill, then actively practice it.  There is no substitute for practice.
    • Indeed. A very cool kite, especially because it breaks down so small. I would love to see it assembled. I would think that individual sets of four cells would assemble before putting them all together. It looks like there are particular cells that go in certain places I would think if there was common structure between the sets of four cells, it would run down along the edges of the top set of cells, as it basically sits on top of the other three sets.  It's hard to tell from those three pics how it would go together. You gotta post pics when you figure it out. I would think that the connector on the top of the sail in the first pic would point downward toward one of the corners of that cell.  At least you did't get Bell's big kite, it had over 3,000 cells. He even made a Circular Tetrahedral kite.  Be careful launching and landing it. He almost breaks the bottom cell.  I would launch it like he is holding the kite in the thumbnail pic. It looks like a super cool kite. No idea what it is worth.