KiteLife Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Wind range mostly. For me smaller kites are easier to control when winds are bumpy. Superfly surprised me there. It's really good in the gusts. Plus Goff looks like he's having more fun on the Superfly in the videos LOL.
  3. 9 of my grandkids started on a Prism Snapshot 1.4. One boy loves the whump so much it was hard to get him to stop whumping framed kites. Self launching foils for 8 year olds NEED adult supervision. 150# lines in 15 mph winds is dangerous. Out in 20 to 25 mph on the Snapshot I staked the kite. Gust launched it and lucky for me I dodged the lines. Live on a open prairie so kite didn't get caught on anything. 1/2 mile walk I finally caught up with it. Put a old dog toy on top of it now instead of staking. If needing to stake it's with 1 line. When winds go 15+ I angle my kites close to the windows edge so if they launch they'll head away from center. Let go while leaning over a kite in high winds 1 time. ONE TIME!!! Jaw hurt for 3 days. Lessons learned 😡.
  4. I would go with soft kites for them. My son learned a lot from flying dual line soft kites on his own. There are no parts to break, and boys that age love the satisfying WHUMP that they make when they do a full speed death dive into the ground ! My son quickly learned how to relaunch on his own and was back up in the air, zooming around. He had a small Prism Snapshot... That's him flying it below...
  5. I'll take a look after I win and let you know [emoji6] Sent from my Pixel 2 using KiteLife mobile app
  6. So I was wrong about how Rev did there leading edge bungees. I described how I did the ones on my homemades. Neither is wrong, I just didn't like how Rev's method bunched the fabric. Watty's video is better than I remembered. attaching the verticals to the horizontal is somewhat confusing. Just a heads up. Order some of TK's leaders when you order your bridle.
  7. Nice kite! Your second picture has the bungees correct. One end through each hole and a single overhand knot in each with a small plastic washer under each knot, knots on the back. I would definitely order a new bridle from John. Yours is not quite installed properly, stick the end of the loop through the hole in the cap and loop it over the end of the cap outside of the bungee if that makes sense. Ill take a picture in a bit. Installing a new bridle is very easy, but confused me the first time. Watty made a video showing how to do it, but filmed the crux part in the dark.
  8. Last week
  9. You all were so much help with my last post, so now I have more questions. I bought a b-series full vent on ebay the other day. If you all are like me you probably saw it if you are searching like I am. Anyway, my question are, what going on with the outer leading edge in the pictures? To me it looks like new holes were "seared" in below the original hole. Would this have been a repair? Doesn't look like the top hole was torn out or anything. Only thing I see is a little fraying of the leading edge where the shaft goes in but that doesn't seem to be an issue to me. The shock cord doesn't have any of those plastic, what I call, '"bushings". Is that a problem. Seems like that may reduce stress somehow. The bridal has been replaced at some point for sure because it seems that they just cut the old bridal out from the 3 connecting points on top. Now, one edge of the bridal that is on there has the "sleeve" frayed exposing the line. Are all bridals "sleeved" line? and will a 1.5 bridal fit this kite. Im pretty sure thats the one i would need. I haven't flow the kite yet and don't really think its a good idea if the bridal sleeve is frayed to the line. Everything else looks good on the kite. Any thoughts?
  10. Thanks BobL. I'll have another look online in terms of age range. I read some user reviews where pre-teens were able to learn to fly the Jazz, without too much trouble, that's why I was considering it. I was leaning towards the Jazz as it appears to be more beginner level (even for an adult).
  11. Thanks for the advice. I do like the idea of relaunching without walking to the kite so I will have a look at the Rock On kite. I can envisage that my nephews would get frustrated by this!!
  12. new updated ISO/WTB : Skyburner Widow Maker std,pro,etc R-Sky Nirvana etc if its ok with the admin, i'm open to suggestions
  13. hi Parasko, welcome to Kitelife My first kite last summer was a Nexus, my wife's a Jazz. both good kites to learn on. The Jazz would probly be my choice for kids...a little slower with a forgiving fiberglass frame and 85' of (relatively) stretchier polyester line than the Nexus which comes with a carbon fiber frame and 65' of more sensitive dyneema line...the length and type of line has an effect on how fast the kite turns and generally responds: shorter lines will tend to make a kite seem faster, dont know why they send the Nexus out with 65'. anyway, polyester lines (ok) are cheaper and stretchier slowing the signals to and from the kite, Dyneema line (better) and Spectra line (best) are used by experienced fliers. When my wife tried the Nexus early in her learning curve it was noticeably fast for her and she stuck with the Jazz. Tails would help to make the kite more docile but require a bit more breeze to fly. one thing to be aware of is Prism recommends 13 to 14 as minimum age for their kites so you should plan on starting them out with you backing them up, literally. You said you were a novice...can you fly these kites? Maybe unpack one of them and teach yourself to fly before Xmas! There are some good videos on Youtube that will get you started, good luck let us know how it goes. BobL
  14. You tube the Rock On by Flying Wings. Cheaper than both Prisms and one of the few kites that can relaunch without walking to the kite. Constant walking to reset the kite leads to major frustration at times. Even for us so called grownups. Fun With Wind has them pretty cheap. You'll find a video of a woman and her 2 daughters about that age doing some great flying. Daddy is Bell Chu designer, builder and excellent flier. HQ Bebop would probably take them a bit farther in tricking than the Prisms too. I've got grandchildren in that age group and they learn this stuff fast. Pull is in relation to how hard the kite is to hold onto in wind conditions. The hardest pulling kite I have is a 5' speed kite that will drag a 200# person around in 30 mph if you're not careful.
  15. It's a shame they were discontinued too, the 3rd shades were really nice. Oddly enough, I think they grey actually brought some strength to the pink/purple combo that it wouldn't have had with another purple instead.
  16. Oh, yeah... so close. It's a match in spirit, anyway. Still cool. I wish there were more Icarex colors, but given the choices, grey works better, I think.
  17. Hello @Fredc, Welcome to KiteLife®! Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Need to tweak settings? Edit your profile here - View Member Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/ Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for... Member Chat Member Map KL Shop And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life!
  18. Hi Everyone, My first post in this forum. I’ve been searching for a kite to buy my two 8 year old nephews for Christmas. I have bought them each a Prism Zenith 5 but now that I’m learning more about kites I’ve realised that I should’ve bought a dual line/stunt kite instead, as they will be bored quickly with the single line kite. Here in Australia the Prism brand seems to be the most prominent and so I’ve narrowed the choice down to the Jazz or the Nexus. Can anyone advise on which one would be more suitable for an 8 year old boy? I have read that the Nexus is larger and so it is easier to control. However I also read that it has more pull. What does that actually mean? Should I be looking at the Jazz which is lighter and buy a tail for it so it slows it down a little? As you can read I am a novice in the kite world so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  19. ALMOST. 😎 Note the yellow in the green fade instead of the final grey we went with for green and purple (lacking availability of 3rd Icarex Pc-31 shade of either).
  20. Hello @parasko, Welcome to KiteLife®! Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Need to tweak settings? Edit your profile here - View Member Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/ Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for... Member Chat Member Map KL Shop And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life!
  21. Great story. I've never gotten a chance to fly Djinn with others, but I believe it based on flying them all solo. That picture is identical to my collection in colors and types. Not sure why that's so cool... it just is.
  22. True story. Wind was about 7mph, and we had all three (ST / MV / VT) flying team together with no problems. 🥰 Taken the same day:
  23. Let me drop a little story about this one: `2 summers ago, John had the 3 versions all staked out at WSIKF, a std, mid, f/v. It was a low wind sort of day, I think I was either on a std or Ashes, so that gives you some idea. Anyway, everyone was queued up to try the std. Made the most sense, it fit the wind pretty well. So I'm in line waiting when John comes over and says to try the mid. OK, I'll give it a shot. I launch, land, adjust tops a knot (John uses at least one more knot of brake than I do!), and launch again. Flew nice, but it didn't set my hair on fire or anything like that. But a good solid feeling. After a bit I set it down and was talking to him, when he says to try the full vent. Now I'm thinking - wait a minute, the winds are light for a standard, and you want me to use a full vent?? OK, I'll try. Same thing - launch, land, adjust tops. Launch again, no problem. So now I have a full vent flying along no problem - my head is a bit spinning - HOW? Before I really get into it, a line starts to form behind me and someone is telling me to lead the group. Not entirely unusual, I lead quite a bit - but I'm on the "wrong kite"! People are still asking, so away I go leading, BUT - behind me are the mid and std Djinns and a couple others. I totally expect to get run over, thinking I'm WAY underpowered!! NOPE!! I'm perfectly safe out here and leading - NO PROBLEM! We go through some stuff and finally land, I look at John and he is smiling and I'm scratching my head wondering what just happened!! MAGIC!!
  24. Mark Thorn

Mark Thorn

1. Load more activity