KiteLife Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. An FAA rule says you can't fly a kite 5 miles from an airport boundary. Well, its almost impossible to find a spot of land that isn't within 5 miles of an airport. This is certainly the case in all major cities. Just for shits I hopped on kitemap.org.. you know, the repository for "best" places to fly and they listed three location in my city and 2 were within half that 5 mile limit and the 3rd would still not comply if you took literally the FAA's definition of this going right up the edge of the airports property as the starting point to start measuring. (in other words... was exactly 5 miles up the airport boundary) So being curious I just picked another couple cities at random and all the locations listed there too were within 5 miles. A lot weren't even a mile. So it was 0-12 on best places to fly a kite conforming to FAA regulations. I have little doubt it would be the same if I kept looking. It would be interesting to get an airport map of the US... Not that I give a sh*t, just pointing out the idiocy with the levels of bureaucracy in this country.
  3. Today
  4. some kites are just happier on longer lines, the Zen and Dave's indoor AUA come to mind immediately, both love those lengths outside. 120's on 50 pound, so your window is bigger and you have time to really show what that darn thing can do! Indoors? I like lines as long as possible there too, w/o touching the ceiling or any nearby objects, 28 to 30 feet
  5. Sounds like something John Chilese would do. Just wild speculation!
  6. Hello @LaKobe1, Welcome to KiteLife®! Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Need to tweak settings? Edit your profile here - View Member Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/ Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for... Member Chat Member Map KL Shop And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life!
  7. Yesterday
  8. Just a little bg info on myself... I have recently taken interest in kites. I have been flying rc helicopters as a team pilot for a decade and love all things that fly! I've been aware of kiting for a few years, but given the cost of my main hobby, I could never swing a quad line kite. That changed last summer when I had a 20% off coupon for a Rev. I got the kite and tried to fly it once or twice and found line management to be troublesome. I put it away for the winter and grabbed it when heading to west coast MI this June. I still struggled with the lines and varying wind conditions, but with the support of the community I'm feeling motivated to stick with it this time. See you at the beach and many great flights to you all! Cullen
  9. Hi, I'm an italian living in Spain. I fly my kites on the beach of Sagunto, near Valencia. I'm trying to learn some freestyle trick and after buying an eolo Neox the first trick I learned was... to fix the damages of the first flight! Enviado desde mi ALE-L21 mediante Tapatalk
  10. Around 1964 - 1965 age 3 to 4 years old, a Jolly Green Giant diamond kite. that we got from a tin cup label. We flew the kite so high and that lost the kite in a canyon, behind are old house in San Diego. .
  11. Hi, and welcome to the forum.
  12. My first kite was a New Tech Fire Cracker. I still have it. Is probably 16 years old. I still enjoy flying it. I couldn't afford a NTK Firestorm at the time so I got the Fire Cracker. It's been a good kite and have let many youngsters fly it.
  13. My first kite was a red/white and blue diamond that came with a Hi-Flyer winder.. was a really cool winder for its day 50 years ago. A favorite that stands out was a white delta with big eyes on it. Then there was time I put a thread on the legs of a cicada named Max...
  14. Yea, I really enjoyed trying to fly that night and taking your pix.
  15. Next episode of my series is now on Youtube. Flying my new Ozone Chrono V2 Ultralight 18m with Zeeko Aluminium Foil. Link takes you to the video on Youtube, enjoy and let me know what you think! Foil Board progress in Qatar
  16. Hello @redrover90210, Welcome to KiteLife®! Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Need to tweak settings? Edit your profile here - View Member Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/ Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for... Member Chat Member Map KL Shop And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life!
  17. Welcome @Zuul. I wasn't at the first Kite Party, but if it's in its 17th year, then I have kites that are a decade older. I just recently got back into flying regularly and now actually own a kite that was made this millennium. Nice Mamba; that is a truly timeless kite.
  18. Hello! I’m an old GWTW regular, but it’s been a long time since I was truly active. How old? Who else was at the 1st Huntington Beach kite party? Lol. (My handle was mmakay over there.) It’s sad to see the old forum has reached end of life, but even better to see that the kite community is carrying on here! Life has been ridiculously hectic for the last, uh, decade? I hope to get out to fly more often soon!
  19. Not many fliers can say their first exposure to a quad was night flying. Thanks for the great pics you took for me as well.. This one is still the background on my phone. Lots of fliers up in your area but I'm not sure how local. IKE is represented well in the forums and I'm sure a few of them will respond here soon.
  20. Thanks Riff, if you hadn't put the bug in me last year I wouldn't be here. I hope too that we can someday fly together,
  21. Welcome to KiteLife @stickerbush1970. Looking forward to flying with you again sometime in the future.
  22. Hello @Wild Ride, Welcome to KiteLife®! Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Need to tweak settings? Edit your profile here - View Member Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/ Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for... Member Chat Member Map KL Shop And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life!
  23. This is such a loaded question. I have too many that are tied for the top spot. Prodancer, Vapor, Tattoo, Ocius, eclipse, Echo, ozone.......all depends on my flying mood.
  1. Load more activity