KiteLife Forum

RIP Quantum :(

JoneZ

Greetings KL! Long time no write.

Well, I took a long deserved break due to Winter and my approaching wedding (4 more months).

During the Xmas break, I was hurriedly packing our Jeep to go to the in laws house. I keep my kites in the car 'just incase'. Well, I took them out and put them on the roof while I was packing the car up (keep in mind, this was during the PNW's crazy winter storm with over 3 ft of snow). We drove off, and my Quantum remained on the roof of my car. I think I dumped it when I turned a corner somewhere. You may be asking "why didn't you hear the kite bag slide off ur roof? Well, there was a batch of snow on our roof, so I didnt hear a damn thing.

RIP Quantum. I learned the basics from you -- I flew you at Crater Lake at 9000feet -- I tore your sail in the name of learning backspins -- I almost lost you when I flew you in 30Mph winds and snapped a line.

You will be greatly missed. :kid_cussing:

Now, on to better things.

I am in the market for a new Kite.

I was thinking either the Acrobatx, or the Silver Fox 2.5 STD. I couldnt rightly decide, being as they both have features I like, so I thought I'd pose the question here.

Im leaning towards the Acrobatx side personally.

Any thoughts - suggestions?

Cheers KiteLife!

~Jon

Hey Jon

For Giggles and Chits Have you ever looked at a Premier ADDICTION??? It is only 60 ~ 80.00 bucks at the MOST!~!

Now there is the shop I work for as the Head flight Instructor / test pilot as well. They have developed a KIT to put into the kite and it makes it fly like you would not believe. We are doing Reversing back spins with that little 7.4 oz kite. It is DURABLE as can be and it will take a lot of abuse and comes with very nice Dynema lines.

I forget what BUZ is charging for the Overhaul of the kite. I think it is 50 bucks for the full kit and that is what you would want to do. It comes with two different trim sets new cross members. Then he retrims the sail and stand outs and tentioning of the sail. IT is quite the project he worked out!~!

About a hour and a Half of work to get the kite to what it is now. I love my fully Modified kite. LOOK up my write up on here and contact Slow Pro about any questions as well. He flies out of that shop as well.

Think about that a 60~80 dollar kite with a mod in it that flies like a full on 150.00 ~ 200.00 dollar kite ish :kid_cussing: HMMMM and it is EASY to FIX

It will easily fly in the 5 Mph range of wind and can do ok in the 15 Mph. Where you are in Oregon as people are talking about.

Fast EDDY

A rather large response. hehe. Thanks all.

Theresa, I called you this morning about an acrobatX. :kid_cussing: I tried Elmers, and he didn't have it either.

With my wedding coming up, I only want to allocate $100 -- maybe $130 tops, so the Soul is definitely out of the question. lol

I flew great with my Quantum (and that thing tried to fly like a brick sometimes, but I tweaked it to fly in lower winds) here in the GPA, with exceptional flying in Oregon City at my spot (behind this church at the intersection of Warner Milne and Linn st. [elev. about 500ft]), so Im not too worried about an UL just yet (I 'was' gonna get Prisms "Zephyr" this year,, that was, until I dumped my Quantum, so Im back to looking for a STD first).

I've read great reviews about both kites Im interested in, and yes yes yes, they are '06 kites. But I like them none-the-less.

I like the Acrobatx because it won the '06 kite of the year, and its an intermediate/advanced, has the yoyo stoppers (easy mod to any kite, but nice to have stock) -- as opposed to the SilverFox which is an intermediate only.

Has anyone had experience with these kites, that would favor one over the other?

Thanks again for all the responses. :)

~Jon

The Acrobatx is a slightly heavier kite for a standard and will suffer in the lighter wind ranges some. It is a great kite and I really like it but most people seem to have a hate it severely or love it totally type of attitude after they fly it. If the kite fits your style then you'll probably love it, if not then you will probably be in the market for something else pretty quick.

The Acrobatx seems to like to be spanked around alot. If you have a "Yank and spank" type of flying style then it should fit you pretty well. If your flying style is more graceful and delicate then this may not be the best kite for you.

The Premier Addiction is an awesome kite as well though it doesn't come with Yo-Yo's installed. The Premier Nighthawk is probably one of the best all-around kites for under 100.00. Also the new Premier Wolf is a dream to fly and can do nearly all the new school tricks.

If you can stretch your budget a little more, I would highly suggest the Premier Widow, this is a full sized (8 foot wingspan) kite that can do anything you throw at it and is super forgiving. This has become one of my favorite kites in the bag. Retail is around the 150.00 price and it comes complete with removable tail weight, Yo-Yo stoppers, skyshark frame, heavy duty bag, lines and straps. The Widow tricks as good or better than kites costing nearly double the price.

Hope that helps with your decisions.

haha! Thanks again to Theresa for my Kite. :)

Purchased a Premier Widow (thanks for the ref. windofchange!). It flies like a dream. :D

Its insane how much sharper and smooth flying it is than the Quantum. I mean yeah, the quantum is a great kite, but sh**,,, wow man...

Im finding it sooo much easier to pull tricks off! Amazing how much different each class flies. :)

Back in the game!!!!

;)

~Jon

Glad to hear you finally got a kite that will grow with you. I'm sure the Quantum was a fun one to start with. But now you've got one that'll do it all and you can fly any style you'd like.

Just a thought..... Ever tried a Rev? ;)

Dean