KiteLife Forum

More questions for you OG's

Huskies

You all were so much help with my last post, so now I have more questions.  I bought a b-series full vent on ebay the other day.  If you all are like me you probably saw it if you are searching like I am.  Anyway, my question are, what going on with the outer leading edge in the pictures?  To me it looks like new holes were "seared" in below the original hole.  Would this have been a repair?  Doesn't look like the top hole was torn out or anything.  Only thing I see is a little fraying of the leading edge where the shaft goes in but that doesn't seem to be an issue to me.  The shock cord doesn't have any of those plastic, what I call, '"bushings".  Is that a problem.  Seems like that may reduce stress somehow.

The bridal has been replaced at some point for sure because it seems that they just cut the old bridal out from the 3 connecting points on top.  Now, one edge of the bridal that is on there has the "sleeve" frayed exposing the line.  Are all bridals "sleeved" line?  and will a 1.5 bridal fit this kite.  Im pretty sure thats the one i would need.  

I haven't flow the kite yet and don't really think its a good idea if the bridal sleeve is frayed to the line.  Everything else looks good on the kite.  Any thoughts?

IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

Nice kite! Your second picture has the bungees correct. One end through each hole and a single overhand knot in each with a small plastic washer under each knot, knots on the back.  I would definitely order a new bridle from John. Yours is not quite installed properly, stick the end of the loop through the hole in the cap and loop it over the end of the cap outside of the bungee if that makes sense. Ill take a picture in a bit. Installing a new bridle is very easy, but confused me the first time. Watty made a video showing how to do it, but filmed the crux part in the dark.    

So I was wrong about how Rev did there leading edge bungees. I described how I did the ones on my homemades. Neither is wrong, I just didn't like how Rev's method bunched the fabric. Watty's video is better than I remembered. attaching the verticals to the horizontal is somewhat confusing. Just a heads up. Order some of TK's leaders when you order your bridle. 

20191214_163459.jpg

20191214_161639.jpg

• Like 1

Putting the new bridle on - 

Put the vertical pieces on first. Just like DTill described at the cap, the larkshead is on the cap, not the bridle itself.  Just make sure you put both of the tops and both of the bottoms, pulling to the center, the same way. Either both inside or both outside. I like to assemble my kite and do it bit by bit, making sure my direction of pull is the same on both sides.  Doesn't matter that much which, just make both sides are the same. Then add the horizontal piece, larksheading thru the center loop first, then do the leading edge connections. Now to connect the pieces - remember this rhyme -"little thru big, big thru little". You put that little loop on the vertical leg thru the big loop on the horizontal, then the big loop thru the small loop. pull it down and you should get the little "hinge" between the pieces. The "Rev" bridle has that, if you don't get one, you have connected wrong and need to correct that. It really isn't hard to do. I have done them on the beach in minutes.

The line fray you described is pretty normal for bridle line. There is a woven covering and a stranded core, so it is really a 2 piece system. That core is plenty strong, but a new bridle is definitely in your future. John's are made to fit perfectly, based on installing correctly.

Good luck with the swap and show us pix of the before and after!