KiteLife Forum

SPI 2020, pre-party?

frob

Having moved to Texas back in 2016, I've had three experiences at the SPI kite fest, a great show each year. It's Thursday night, Friday, and Saturday.  Three years ago I couldn't stay any extra days but learned about the typical after-party too late. Two years ago, that Sunday had a TKL clinic which was informative. Last year, there were a few kite followers and about 15-20 people on the flats on Sunday with the after-party.

This year, because of work scheduling I've got the option to show up early Wednesday but probably don't have the option to stay through Sunday.

Is there much of a before-party? Should I plan for a good group day, or plan to be alone in the air, or wait to arrive on Thursday?

I'm assuming with various teams arriving at least the invited fliers (many here on the site) will be spending a bit of time on the beach, but I'd hate to disturb anyone who is putting finishing touches on demo routines.

• Like 1

I'll be there Thursday thru Sunday 1/30- 2-2. Probably be flying around on 30's being a nuisance. I'm friends with all of the Oregon kiters. I'm not flying with any teams, but know basic team moves. I'll have a set of 120' lines in my pocket. Going down to meet up with my parents that are winter Texan retirees.  I'm down to team fly out of the arena. I've heard this is different from the Oregon Kite festivals where we have our own show on the other side of the river of the real festival.I should probably get some lights for night flying. I'm stoked. LETS JAM, BOOM!

• Like 1

I guess I'll schedule some early time, and hopefully meet up some people from the wrong side of the tracks on Wednesday. 

Paul's expected demo: While they're distracted watching the kites, have a partner pick their pockets. This ensures a steady supply of future kites. ;-)

18 hours ago, DTill said:

I'm down to team fly out of the arena. I've heard this is different from the Oregon Kite festivals where we have our own show on the other side of the river of the real festival.I should probably get some lights for night flying. I'm stoked. LETS JAM, BOOM!

Yes, different from what I have seen and flown in Lincoln City. The public participation is different. 

At Lincoln City people wander through like an open house, some pull out kites, some just watch, some shop on the walkway. Here it is mostly sitting around the roped area in your lawn chair to watch. 

During the event I have flown out a short way on the flats a few hundred feet away, but it was always solo. Watching the same demos repeat for two days gets old, but I would pay special attention to the group flys. Sometimes they were downwind and I could watch everything, sometimes not, and sometimes I would sit on a chair and just watch. I would love to make it a pair. 

They do interact with the crowd as time permits. My daughter talks about 'that time Fletch captured me with his kite when everyone was setting up', but overall B&S has a strict boundary the masses must stay behind. After the indoor session everyone is on the floor with a line of questions, comments, and thanks. The outdoor days are demo after demo continuously, cycling through each team or individual the entire day. 

As for kite lights, I'm 0 for 3 on that, evening winds have not been great on the beach. I will have lights with me, and might become 1 for 4 out there. I have had better luck on night flys inland at home. 

• Like 1

Tides will complicate night flying, but something may be possible. I'm a little skeptical given my past experiences, but there is always a chance.  The tides will work for the festival, but the water will be there like always:

Tide forecasts (rounded) and dawn/dusk:
Wednesday: 3:15 AM high 0.9 ft; 11:30 low 0.2 ft; 7:10 pm high 1 ft;  Dawn 7:14, dusk 6:10
Thursday: 1 AM low 0.7 ft;  5:10 AM high 0.7 ft;  Noon low 0.4 ft; 6:55 high 0.9 ft;  Dawn 7:13, dusk 6:11
Friday: 2:AM low 0.5 ft; 7:30 AM high 0.7 ft; 12:20 low 0.6 ft; 6:36 high 0.9 ft; Dawn 7:13, dusk 6:12
Saturday: 2:30 AM low 0.3 ft; 6:00 PM high 0.9ft;  Dawn 7:12, dusk 6:13
Sunday: low 3:00 0 ft; high 1:30 0.9 ft; Dawn 7:12, dusk:6:13

Also a note for the future: SPI has been soliciting proposals to develop the flats, driven by their "Convention and Visitor’s Advisory Board". The Sierra Club has been fighting it because of creatures and habitat, some locals have been fighting it since it's the only bay-side public beach. The city's published goal is to encourage profitable water sports in the bay (kayaking, wind-surfing, and personal watercraft, including rental businesses), and they want bids for developments accommodating 7,000 spectators, at least 2000 covered amphitheater-style bay-facing seats, plus boardwalks with shops, and places to launch watercraft. The plan wants to start building within three years. So enjoy the flats while they last. :-(

• Like 1

I wish I could take more days off work and afford hotels for that long. Mid-day 29th through late on the 2nd.  Even though the festival is Friday and Saturday, there is casual flying there on Sunday and later. I'll stay as late as I can, but will need to leave before sundown to get back to real life.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now the suspenseful part, forecasts are starting to appear for the days. They're still wildly variable until we get to the days immediately before, but still interesting to see what's forecast.

W: 18-37 MPH, 20% chance of thunderstorms, 25% rain
Th: 18-45 MPH, 10% chance of rain
F: 5-16 MPH, 25% chance of rain
Sa: 17-40 MPH, 5% chance of rain
Su: 13-29 MPH, 3% chance of thunderstorms, 5% chance of rain.

The thunderstorm risks stink, but at least there will plenty of wind. The HV may even get some quality air time.

@DTill I hope your beautiful pinstripe kite bag has gear for it. I seem to recall reading higher wind kites may still be a gap for you. When we meet upon the sand -- I'm sure we will -- if you need to borrow something speak up. While I don't have much duplicate gear in the high wind range, it's fun to see the HV and XV Djinn together midair. 

• Like 1

@DTill I hope your beautiful pinstripe kite bag has gear for it.

That bag was traded for a Super Blast R/W/B. That bag is now in New Hampshire, with an old competition flyer who remembers "Young John". I've built a few bags since then, will probably be bringing a standard and full vent Djinn , a homemade mesh and a set of northern lights . I should be good to go. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the amazing party, everyone. 

I don't know about others, but I had a blast. I got to fly nearly every kite in my bag; from the kaiju in the calm through the Kymera and Hydra on the dual lines, and from full sail to the hardcore vent on the quads. Enjoyed a night fly with my animated LED lights playing with color changes through direction and motion, plus I had my first big solo demo. And I got to watch an incredible indoor show. 

Through it all I kept meeting, talking, and flying with all you wonderful folks. Let's do it again soon.

• Like 2

concur totally!!!  My bride and I had a great time at the SPI kite fest for the past week.  WoW put on a good show too, Cosca did great as the MC on the mic! Fletch and I supported him thru sherpa duties, then did our own things when possible.  We picked-up and incorporated stragglers (who fit our selection criteria "must be misfit material") as a part of our team.

I would have loved a couple of hours of dead calm outside so we could abuse the AUAs acquired recently1898646252_WoWTeam(AUAs).thumb.jpg.8f3c83cc0f298d7ab5ce35163099acfa.jpg

And,... we didn't use the mylar holographic tails either!

Everyone was so friendly, we were recognized thru-out the weekend walking the island, felt like rock stars on holiday.  Lots of folks were repeat spectators, both indoors and outside it seemed.  They'd set-up and stayed all day too, beeping the vehicle's horn if we did something profoundly entertaining.  We had folks stop us in the airport, during meals, just an amazing feeling to experience. (I AM the worst pilot in attendance, they still knew MY name!)

• Like 1