KiteLife Forum

Morning Start

riffclown

Started laying out a plan today. First one is going to be a mesh. Using Purple, Black, Charcoal, Silver and White for this one. Regular basket weave over the gray fade. Not sure if I'll stack these or not but this seemed a good place to start. I've been waiting on inspiration to start these kites. Decided to start with what I already had cut and go from there..

It may be time for a spectrum mesh stack.

20191226_155434.jpg

• Like 1

So your doing mesh thru the center? Given your past venting trials, I don't see why it wouldn't work great. Are these the G-kites tails or poly? I picked up some tails a while ago, 6 pack of 15's and a 45'. Haven't started on anything yet.

I figured out a way to very consistently fold the Icarex to get a sharp crease to sew. It haven't needed any basting tape to hem the edges either. As for the center, I'll probably do a center panel. Haven't fully decided yet but that's how I'm leaning so far. Trying to keep it very repeatable in case I decide to make this part of a stack.

I learned a lot from the G-Kite tails but their width was becoming erratic (especially with the transition tails) and they were stretching over time. The variable width is fine for a tail but not so much when you are trying to balance a mesh sail made from them. I learned a lot from building with those but I decided to start folding my own strips. The Snowflake and Black Widow meshes I made were the PolyMax and the technique I figured out transfers to Icarex very well.

6 minutes ago, DTill said:

Are you using a hemming foot? I got one with a machine recently, only messed with it for a minute. 

I'm not using anything special.Just a simple single fold/crease and a regular foot using a 3 step zig-zag stitch. I've never used a walking foot, hemming foot or any special attachments.

Just wondering, seems like a hemming foot would be a big timesaver. Someone invented it for a reason. I approach projects from a carpenters perspective. Build up, not seamstress approach, of build it inside out then turn to right side out.

2 hours ago, riffclown said:

I learned a lot from the G-Kite tails but their width was becoming erratic (especially with the transition tails) and they were stretching over time

I was wondering about the stretch. Not sure if those tails were cut on the weft or weave. The mesh I built was micron tails. Its been holding pretty good. I've flown it in stupid wind.

1 hour ago, riffclown said:

.Just a simple single fold/crease and a regular foot using a 3 step zig-zag stitch.

I know most kites are sewn with the three step zig zag, wich is a stretch stitch. John double stitches the trailing edges with a straight stitch. Would it make more sense  to hem the seams on a mesh with a double straight stitch. 

6 hours ago, DTill said:

I know most kites are sewn with the three step zig zag, wich is a stretch stitch. John double stitches the trailing edges with a straight stitch. Would it make more sense  to hem the seams on a mesh with a double straight stitch. 

In this particular case  I use a straight stitch on the edge binding and double stitch the edge binding. I also add my reinforcements to the corners. I use the 3 step zig zag on the strip hems simply because it allows for fabric changes over time and keeps the crease flatter.  If you look closely, Eliot does the same.

7 hours ago, DTill said:

I was wondering about the stretch. Not sure if those tails were cut on the weft or weave. The mesh I built was micron tails. Its been holding pretty good. I've flown it in stupid wind.

My original mesh is still my goto when winds offer the choice of flying the kite or flying the beach chair..

• Haha 1

The green family (3 greens), Yellow Family, (2 Yellows), Orange Family, (2 Oranges) and Red Family, (3 Reds including a bit of pink) are all cut and ready for sewing prep.. This will be a 6 stack at first. I may go back and add a dark blue and even a wine color to make it 8.

20191230_192736.jpg

• Like 1