KiteLife Forum

Djinn vs Skyburner Fulcrum

Lon

I hope to purchase a new quad in the next month or two and am considering the two listed in the title. The Djinn seems to be a sure winner, but the Fulcrum looks very interesting to me.  I don't seem to see a lot on it, Fulcrum, though.

I would really appreciate any help you might be able to share.  I do have a new TICA 2020 ordered that I hope to be seeing very soon.  Not quit there for a Santa delivery!!

Thank-you,

Lon

p/s I do know where I’m at here and would not want to ask which is the better quad, I’m just looking for the differences from those of you who might know. Pros and cons of you will

Lon how many, if any other quads do you have? The fulcrum is a beautiful kite and is very fun to fly, but it’s kind of in its own realm. The Djinn on the other hand is at the top of its class. All the refinements John has done to it make it the most flier friendly kite on the market today. It will take you and your flying to what ever level your capable of flying. I own an entire set of Djinns and they are pretty much the only quads I fly now. I did purchase one of the first 5 fulcrums from kites and fun things and rarely fly it. I’d definitely say try one before you buy it, it’s way different than a Djinn or any other quad kite on the market today. If your on the Oregon coast I’ll let you try mine out.

• Like 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lon said:

p/s I do know where I’m at here and would not want to ask which is the better quad, I’m just looking for the differences from those of you who might know. Pros and cons of you willemoji6.png

This is a very tight and opinionated community. Fortunately we also don't always have the same opinions. To my knowledge there are no truly off-limit questions as long as you understand the answer you get might be as much opinion as fact..

Personally, I think the Djinn is a better quad since it suits my flying style and is based on John's improvement to the Hadziki wing.  The Fulcrum is also a very nice wing and has some advantage and disadvantages. The Fulcrum is not a flat profile and therefore has some different flying characteristics.  The being said, I think the Djinn is a more durable design, especially at the upper limits of the wind window.

As suggested above. See if you can meet up with other fliers and try before you buy. When you ask for help with a personal choice you'll get personal choices but the best choice is one you make via personal experience.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, khsidekick said:

Lon how many, if any other quads do you have?

khsidekick, to answer your question I have several quads, but am just learning as in not very good yet😁  I currently have a rev 1.5 classic and a pre reflex NYM.  I also have a freilein mid vent exodus and a std vertigo purchased from Andy up at OSK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lon said:

khsidekick, to answer your question I have several quads, but am just learning as in not very good yet😁  I currently have a rev 1.5 classic and a pre reflex NYM.  I also have a freilein mid vent exodus and a std vertigo.

@Lon Honestly, unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket, you have pretty much what you need to learn. I'd make sure you had good lines and handles and wait until you've had the chance to fly other options before grabbing something else..

Literally ask yourself what are YOU looking for that you don't have covered by your current set.

• Like 1
  • Like 2

I'll back up what Riff said...

Buy whatever new kite you find of interest within budget, but you do already have what you need to get an excellent flight experience and education - key things now are learning how to tune the kite, make sure the lines are equalized and advance your understanding of the interface, the richer techniques.

• Like 1

Djinn is top of the top but if you have( like me) the curiosity and budget to check and have different models and brands with different characteristics and shapes buy both or at least try them. Fulcrum is have a different and unique shape and because of that a higher pull is expected but on the same time will fly on positions where a flat kite is collapsing 

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I really appreciate them.

As far as my original question, here is what I am thinking.  The Djinn is going to be the better all around quad.  John put an incredible amount of time and himself into this wing and it shows!!  The fulcrum is also a very good quad, but is a different animal.  Not necessarily better or worse, but different.

Thanks again!!

Lon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My concern DTill is that a full vent will just sit in my bag. I live in SLC UT and our winds could really be better! But we do like to go to the Oregon coast and then I bet I would be glad to have it.
I was able to meet John this year at WSIKF and he, you, were very nice and accommodating, taking some time out of your busy schedule to speak with little ol me. I was impressed!!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

47 minutes ago, DTill said:

Looking at your bag I'd say you next kite is a Djinn full vent. Flying in non beach winds I feel it backs up and bicycles better than the standard.

This is true of most vented vs non vented kites. 👍🏻

I would offer that the wind range on the MV, VT and XT models of Djinn are probably wider on both ends than most of the comparable models from other brands except maybe a Shook Mesh or vented Polo.

Last year, we had the STD, MV and VTD all flying team together in about 7 mph beach wind without any issues. 

The MV is a highly versatile inland kite for better than UL conditions.

And, I LOVE kites, always appreciate a chance to speak with someone passionate about it, especially if they're new-ish, the questions are better. 😇

• Like 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lon said:

I wish that were possible!!

You should come to Lincoln Summer Fest. Tons of friendly flyers. I've met many great people here. There's a festival south of the festival. All the people that show up for the show put on their own show. Your not that far away. SLC to PDX + a 2 hour drive. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lon said:

John, what do you mean by this?

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I placed the venting in our mid vent very specifically, so as not to lose sail pressure in the wrong places, and the vents are also a bit smaller than most mid vents with the Sync Bridle working to moderate speed surges and pull, so we didn't need as much - all this means more sail in the lower end.

Its still not a standard, but it's not that far off in terms of flyability, and a much bigger upper wind range.

A little venting also helps absorb gusts and turbulence, but not so much as to kill your power when the wind drops out.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DTill said:

You should come to Lincoln Summer Fest. Tons of friendly flyers. I've met many great people here. There's a festival south of the festival. All the people that show up for the show put on their own show. Your not that far away. SLC to PDX + a 2 hour drive. 

Thanks Dtill, that is exactly what we do when going to the coast.  My mom loves in Kalama, WA, so we generally spend time with her also.  Usually go to Canon Beach, but last year spent some time in Lincoln City also.  We flew my Slingshot B3 there and the wind drug us all over the beach.  It was a blast!!

When is the festival you mentioned?  I think we are going to be in the area sometime this summer as the family is getting together to spread by dads ashes.