KiteLife Forum

Djinn vs Skyburner Fulcrum

Lon

9 hours ago, John Barresi said:

I placed the venting in our mid vent very specifically, so as not to lose sail pressure in the wrong places, and the vents are also a bit smaller than most mid vents with the Sync Bridle working to moderate speed surges and pull, so we didn't need as much - all this means more sail in the lower end.

Its still not a standard, but it's not that far off in terms of flyability, and a much bigger upper wind range.

A little venting also helps absorb gusts and turbulence, but not so much as to kill your power when the wind drops out.

Thanks for the explanation John!!

As mentioned earlier, I have a Freilein Exodus mid vent and also a Vertigo std with a lighter frame.  With that in mind, do you feel the Djinn mid vent is still a viable option or just to much overlap with what I already have?  I think I hear you saying it may sit somewhat in between those two and still give me a little better upper end.

Our inland wind here in SLC isn't great and along with my inexperience, I'm afraid that a full vent would never leave my bag.  Am I being overly cautious here?

Thanks again to all of you for your help!!

3 hours ago, Lon said:

Our inland wind here in SLC isn't great and along with my inexperience, I'm afraid that a full vent would never leave my bag.  Am I being overly cautious here?

If you plan to never fly anywhere but SLC you're fine. I'm sure you get winds over 20mph a few times each year. If you want to fly then without wrecking your equipment you'll want to have a full vent in your bag. Granted, it will stay in your bag most of the time, but when you need it and don't have it . . . . 

I have 14 Rev kites and several home-made quads, not to mention dual and single line kites. Most of them don't see the light of day as often as they should, but when the occasion presents itself, or I'm just in the mood, I have what suits the situation.

• Like 2

I'm with @makatakam, if you already have standard and mid vent kites, a full vent is the next logical step - the Djinn VT will start up pretty solid around 9-10 mph, again, due to the careful placement of venting... Should be pretty happy up to 25-28 mph, long as it's tuned right.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 10:29 PM, SparkieRob said:

A vented kite with a very light frame... sooo sweet. Very under rated. Many inverted unlocks to be found like this.

Sent from my SM-G970F using KiteLife mobile app

I know you've only tasted the ST so far... FYI, set up of each Djinn model has rendered the "light frame + vented sail" combo moot for me and my pilots, much for the same reason I change kites half as often than I did on my B-Series and NEVER change frames anymore, for any reason. ❤️

• Like 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dominik said:

Comparing the Djinn with the Fulcrum is like comparing apples with pears in my opinion....two kites with four lines but different in anything else. If you are not open to something new you should stay on the rev shape and do it like John recommends it.

Hey Dominik, you made me chuckle, but in a good way.  I have heard of apples to oranges comparisons, but never apples to pears!!

What I'd really like is one of both, but that's not happening.

HAPPY NEW YEAR:mf_party:

Lon

• Like 2

The best comparison would be to say that comparing a Rev to a Fulcrum is like comparing an apple to a lemon. If you put some lemon juice on the apple it won't turn brown and rot -- whatever that means. Apples are better with a bit of lemon applied?

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2019 at 10:15 AM, Lon said:

Born and raised there, sadly needed to move back in 2015. There is plenty of wind, especially if you are willing to drive 30-60 minutes. Consider many people make a multi-hour trek to beaches, you could drive a quarter of the way to Wendover and stop anywhere along the highway for similar winds with a shortish drive. 

There are parks with good winds, and plenty of places with turbulent winds. I had a favorite spot near my home, the terraced soccer fields behind the Olympic skating oval, that often had something moving. Various parks have wind funnels you can find, and urban flying works (in the summer) as buildings make their own winds. 

If you can take a drive there are canyon winds, mountain ridges in the summer especially by ski resorts, and the desert dunes, both public land and rec areas like the Little Sahara. There are places with regular reliable winds, like beaches on Antelope Island. Both the desert and the island often have amazing wind, and for many people it's a shorter drive than other people's beaches. 

You are right that the full vent won't leave your bag as often, but often in April and May there will be days you want it, or even wish for an XV or HV kite. Most days I used a full sail or mid vent.

The more venting the less you will fly it, but eventually you will be standing in 40 MPH gusts either having a blast or wishing for the hardcore vent kite. That kite may only leave the bag twice a year, but when you need it, you really need it. 

I've made a trips out to Antelope Island when the wind forecast is good, and it often is smooth from blowing east across 30 miles of water plus a hundred miles of salt flats before that. It is a bit cold this time of year, but bundle up and you can make a day of it after checking the forecast. 

• Like 3

Antelope Island was Team iQuad's final performance location, if I remember correctly. There was a small kite event with the annual roundup events some years.  I don't know if that still gets organized. 

It is cold in the winter, but the beach is survivable. I remember one winter I was out there with my family, all of us bundled in the cold, when a van came out to the nearly empty beach, and photographers set up for a bikini clad woman and some photos against the water and sand. She jumped from the van, ran out for the shot, and ran back. I figure the cold of winter is one way to get an empty beach. 🤔

• Like 2