KiteLife Forum

b-series full vent and EXP

Huskies

8 minutes ago, frob said:

Icarex is a specific brand of PC31 fabric. There are various weights and compositions from multiple vendors, and I imagine they used more than one source over the years.

PC31 is a type of coated polyester, I believe 31 refers to a weight of 31 grams per square meter. PC31 is common for sport kites as a good balance of strength and weight. PC25 and PC21 are lighter but less durable. PC36 is heavier and stronger. Others exist, but aren't as popular for sport kites.

"PC31 said 'we caught a dirty one' " is a line from the Beatles song Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Presumably PC31 joined the force before PC36, but after PC25 and PC21, assuming, of course, that badge numbers were assigned in numerical sequence, and the size of the force in question was small. I'm certain that the weight of the constables did not correlate to their badge numbers nor order of induction, and depending on the size of the force itself they may have all been inducted simultaneously. The weight assigned to each constable by his superiors certainly varied and may as well have affected his performance in the field, but in no way hindered their ability to fly. :D (That's one minute of your life you'll never get back.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

"PC31 said 'we caught a dirty one' " is a line from the Beatles song Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Presumably PC31 joined the force before PC36, but after PC25 and PC21

Interesting. I didn't know that about the lyrics, but see it now. 

I think it is coincidental. I doubt the Beatles were singing about kite fabrics, but who knows!

Sites like PassionKites, ripstopshop, and assorted other sites that see it list PC31 as 31 grams per square meter.  Maybe they're numbered for something else, but as I wrote, I figured it referred to weight. I know lots of other fabrics are also measured by weight, and I've seen a bunch of ripstop nylon being typically about 45, 65, and 75 gsm.

In the US there is also such-and-such ounce fabric, which isn't ounces per square yard sadly. It's ounces per linear yard of fabric, which is usually 60 inches across. I can't wait until we move to metric, because a square meter is always a square meter, but the width of a bolt of fabric is whatever the machine happened to make.

If they were numbered sequentially, and number 31 happened to also be 31 gsm, that would be another interesting coincidence.

But like I said in the earlier post, I don't know authoritatively either way. For kite fabrics, it's mostly what I've read about them. 

Not sure on the PC31, but traditionally over the past 3 decades, popular sport kites have been made with either 1/2 (SUL) or 3/4 (normal) ounce ripstop - for a while in the mid-90s there was an uptick in 1/2 oz being used on some high end kites but it didn't have the same durability in higher winds (faster burn out).

On 1/13/2020 at 7:04 PM, DTill said:

If you want to buy a new B-series this is the only place I've seen one. Last one I bought from them drop shipped from Rev. The night edition would be cool. http://www.awindofchange.com/product/Rev-B-Series-NIGHT.html

I ordered from this link... anyone else?

The kite just arrived, but it's actually a Reflex 1.5 Classic, not a 1.5B.  The link now says it's not available at this time, but I could have sworn when I ordered that it pictured (and described) an actual 1.5B.  A race frame upgrade was offered for $1, which I opted for.

My order confirmation clearly says "Rev-B-Series-NIGHT".  I'm thinking I'm going to return it.  Did anyone else order and actually get a 1.5B?  Was it too good to be true?

14 minutes ago, DonFibonacci said:

The link now says it's not available at this time

Looks like the new link is http://www.awindofchange.com/product/Rev-B-Classic-NIGHT.html.  Note the change to "CLASSIC".  The pictures are still of a 1.5B, but they've added some new text as of today describing the Reflex system...

3 minutes ago, DonFibonacci said:

Looks like the new link is http://www.awindofchange.com/product/Rev-B-Classic-NIGHT.html.  Note the change to "CLASSIC".  The pictures are still of a 1.5B, but they've added some new text as of today describing the Reflex system...

Hmmm.....doesn't seem like the kinda thing he would do. I'd give him a call.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, pretty liberal use of my name all over that page, specifically promoting a product I have no involvement with, the "B-Classic" or 1.5 Classic as it's listed everywhere else... Sent a message of my own, got a fast and cordial response confirming it will be updated soon. 👍🏻

Apologies if been said already as I only really skimmed responses.

EXP is ripstop nylon where as B Series is Icarex. EXP is heavier than a comparable B. The panel layout is more for less labour sewing as there are big panels and long straight stitching runs.

Sent from my SM-G970F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Yeah, they've been responsive when I've worked with them. I think Kent and Daelyn run a great shop. 

I ordered a quiver of that color combo from their site years ago (see my profile pic to the left) and absolutely love the neon colors. I hope the updated reflex version looks as good as the older edition.