KiteLife Forum

New York Minute Tube Weights?

bsturmco

My sister in law recently bought a set of Revolution New York Minutes with Reflex. She is new to flying and these looked like an economical place to start; great deal from Kent at Wind of Change.

The Full Sail has 2 wrap tubes in the leading edge and a Reflex labeled tube for the vertical spars. By my kitchen scales, the 2 Wrap tube weighs 11 grams and the Reflex vertical tube weighs 18 grams. The Midvent has 3 wrap tubes weighing 15 grams and the Full Vent has 4 wrap tubes weighing 22 grams in their leading edges but both came with the Reflex tube which weighs 18 grams for the vertical spars. The other quad kites I've come into contact with had the same size/weight tubes for all 5 pieces of the frame.

Is there any reason the vertical tubes on these kites differ so much from the tubes used in the leading edge and is there any advantage to having a heavier tube in the verticals?

Rev changed their tubes to make them intentionally not interchangeable with older Revs and similar offerings from other manufacturers.

Your situation is based on their business decision that everyone needs springs. Weight was not the consideration. A Rod with a spring was their decision point.

I was aware of the bigger 5/16" tubes and the different end caps they now use. I've had a chance to fly an XX and RX Spider sail and both of those have the 5/16" tubing throughout the frame. What surprised me with her NYM kites was the use of two different types and weights of tubes for the frames.

Good news is that the endcaps fit snug into SkyShark tubes. I paired a couple of P90's with the 2 wraps and a couple P2X's with the 3 wraps. This brings all parts of the frames closer to the same weight. I also sent her off with a P1X frame set to try in the full sail and suggested to leave all SPRINGS in the bag.

• Like 1

I would suggest P-100 in the full sail, P-300 in the mid, and P-400 in the full vent. Reason - verticals take the most strain of all the frame pieces. LE loads are distributed evenly by your bridle, the verts are only supported at the ends. Better off stronger to be safe, especially if new. Easy to put up the "wrong" sail and blow things out, risking a broken spar, or worse, a tear.

Weight is really not a big factor, you are only talking a few grams, not ounces. Rev's quality control was never super strict anyway, rods varied by a lot, even in the same set. What you end up looking for is that consistency of flex, not the weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Splitting of a rod on the leading edge of her full sail kite is exactly what has happened.
I’ve replaced the end caps on the leading edge with the Freilein external caps that came with my OSKUSA kites. The rods that came with her NYM kites fit snug into the Freilein end caps. Currently awaiting a slow boat to bring me more external end caps to replace the end caps on all three of her kites.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1