KiteLife Forum

Any Quad Flyers in Northeast Iowa?

Brad Morris

I am hoping to connect someone around the Waterloo Iowa area that can fly a quad. I have several 2 string kites; a parasail and prisom, both 2 string. Have no problem flying either of them. I was in South Padre Island at kite festival last month (end a of a month stay) and was AMAZED with the quads so stopped into the kite shop down there and picked one up on my budget and their recommendation. (HQ Mojo)  I was headed back to Iowa 2 days later (to the snow and freezing temps) so I have only been able to fly..... excuse me,  ATTEMPT to fly several times. I don't know if it is me or the kite is not set up properly but I DO KNOW it is kicking my butt! I am looking for someone that can help get me started. I must say, the kite can really take a beating!!! and keep on ticking. I am watching all the videos and reading all I can on this site but I think I need some help at this point. Spring is right around the corner and with it will come some good flying weather. Cant wait!

If you know of anyone or a club in the northeast Iowa area drop me a line! Help out an old geezer! 

• Like 2

I wish I would of had more time to meet more people at SPI. I was only there for 3 days, but I'm now realizing how many connections I missed. I'm originally from Maquoketa,  but now reside in Oregon. I'll be at both of the Lincoln City festivals this year. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

UPDATE! I've been back in Iowa 45 days and have been able to fly about 30 of those days. You cant appreciate March in Iowa until you are happy and excited to be flying in gusty 10-15 mph at 35-45 degree temps and mostly cloudy! The first two weeks were killers! I honestly thought there was something wrong with my kite. Come to find out, I was right.... it was ME!!! After each day of failure I would come home, read more of all of your comments, watch and rewatch John's videos and each time I would pick up some small item that I had missed OR all of a sudden what was being said now made sense. And then one day.... IT FLEW!

Now, each time I go out I am having a blast. I am starting to see manuvers I have seen some of you demonstrate show up with my kite. Like one of the guys said "All it takes is many HOURS." With the Coronavirus impacting everyone this is working out just fine. Great excuse to get outside by myself and practice. It would be nice to fly with others and get their experience to move me along but until then its just me. I see  that I am the only KiteLife member in IOWA!!! 

I am now looking to purchase another kite. A ReV. Any suggestions on which would be good for my second kite considering the winds are usually 8-15 and gusty?

Thanks

midvent, travel framed, with enough components to "stiffen the full sail, and lighten the vented sail" so the framing can cross over each other more in wind ranges.

if you can swing it, a Shook Masterpiece, crafted just for you, 75% (it's in-between a mid-vent and a full vent). It's almost always "the right kite" if there's any kind of wind blowing at all.

some framing options between your two kites increases versatility, you can tune the wing for todays' conditions! (Which ever sail you prefer). Want flex, where, want a tight stiff throw-arounder instead?

It's tons of fun to fiddle and tune your kite, what happens "IF", quads are easy to "put back to stock" if IF didn't work out, think about your objective,.... whatever t might be.

If you want to flail around, go to short lines, if you want it all smooth and graceful, go longer,

just make the next one "different enough" but comparably feeling (not too many variables btwn 'em).  Challenging and expanding, whilst still adding to existing skills

enjoying the comparison between two kites is powerful medicine!

Eventually you will have a few kites in the 1point5 sized Rev format, this can be the first of them.

There's some being sold on this forum right now. First thing you see at the top of the home page. Mike's kites look to be in good condition, but you can ask him directly regarding that. I would recommend a full vent to complement the MoJo. Keep smiling. Have fun. Watch the tutorial videos again and again. They keep on giving.