KiteLife Forum

QC on Freilein Quad Handles

riffclown

Apparently the QC of perfection with Freilein Kites either does not also apply to their handles or they've altered their design in a way I don't prefer. While I like their snagless 15" handles better than anything else I've found, the "new" placement of the foam grips leaves room to be desired. The Silver and Gold colors are handles from a few years back while the Red and Purple are recent purchases.. They've changed their foam location by almost a full inch.

20200308_110139.jpg

20200308_110042.jpg

I had a set of Rev handles come loose on a particularly rainy weekend on the Oregon coast. The tape on those handles seem to be like golf club handle tape, water soluble. I'd try soaking them before trying anything drastic. 

21 minutes ago, DTill said:

I had a set of Rev handles come loose on a particularly rainy weekend on the Oregon coast. The tape on those handles seem to be like golf club handle tape, water soluble. I'd try soaking them before trying anything drastic. 

Sounds like it's worth a try Thanks!!

As stated above, I ended up destroying the foam on the red set getting it off. I ended up removing the foam grips from a donor set with Goo Gone and a tool I had that was able to go underneath the foam but it was a ton of work getting it loose.. Re-attached to my tastes.

On the second set I added some additional foam I have to fill the space. I didn't have suitable additional grips and getting the foam loose on the red handles originally was just not going to happen. Final results are shown below.

@jsc2501 I agree Andy at OSK is very responsive to feedback and redesigned the bags for the Vertigo and Exodus kites once before based on a phone call from me. I'm not on facebook so my communication path is pretty limited. Feel free to forward this thread and any pictures from it to him on my behalf.  off topic, BTW, How's the Gray Fade holding up??

20200309_203636.jpg