KiteLife Forum

3D flying video

Neil

Hi everyone

This is my first time on kitelife so please forgive me if there is already loads of information on this topic. 

I've been flying revolution kites for a few years and have decided to expand my my skill level by using the excellent videos available . I've always been impressed with the catching and throwing (trick). But my question is .....is there a specific length of line I should be using , a max or a min ? JB doesn't mention it on his video but I'm guessing about 8-10 meters?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

You are pretty much on target. I'd suggest start with 10-ish meters. As you get more proficient you can extend your distance.  Shorter than 10 meters or so takes a touch more skill as you have to handle the handles more proficiently while the kite is gliding out. 10-12 meters is the sweet spot to not have to hurry with handle manipulations while the kite is gliding out. (Just for reference to others, 10-12 Meters equals just under 33 ft to just over 39 feet)

One other tip. After your practice, quickly check line equalization before packing up as the throw tends to stress the lead brake line a bit more than the others (especially when learning.).

Once you get catch and throw dialed it's in your bag of tricks. I struggled with it for a while, start with 30ft. lines/ 10 meters. Bring the kite near the top, then tug the lines just enough to put it into a glide. You'll use less of a tug the better you get at it. In a light wind you only need a 1-2 in. tug. In no wind, just stand the kite up and give it a good tug' it will come right to you. If the wind sucks I'll  go out with my old B series and power up 20-30 catch and throws, then leave knowing the rust is knocked off.    

Longer lines are a mission, at some point you'll catch lengths that cannot be thrown back out that far,..... so it goes halfway and waits for me to walk out the slack. With proper technique you can "arch" the angle instead of directly overhead pulling downward.

15m lines (49’) often requires me to do a little backwards jogging when doing throws. I can’t recall that the 8.2m lines (27’) were more difficult for me when learning catch&throws. With shorter lines there is less walking involved and therefore more time for the catches and throws practice. Mix and try different line lengths – testing something new tends to make one learn something new. Good luck!