KiteLife Forum

Covid 19

BobL

hows everyone doing ? the good news...being retired and a kiteflyer = social distancing ...i met another kiteflyer a week or so ago and it turned out we knew a few people but his passion right now is the yacht club nearby...we parted with a handshake and both did a DOH! move and burst out laughing. old habits die hard...gotta go back to fist bumping i guess...

seriously though i'd like to hear what others are saying

take care

Bob

• Like 3

I have stopped doing indoors QLK indoors, but outdoors in zero wind instead. I have postponed to start doing it in more densely populated spaces (which was something I aimed for) in case someone would have spat on the ground etc., but I do it on a sparsely used parking when the conditions allow it. Otherwise when using long lines on a field or a beach (especially on this time of the year) I feel safe, since it should be ideal from a Covid-19 perspective I guess.

• Like 2

Actually, when thinking about it, I have had more kiting opportunities now than during normal times. While working from home most of the days I don’t spend the time travelling home in the dusk (when the wind typically drops to an acceptable level). In this lighter wind I can now go to the (no lights really) parking in the dusk (with the neon yellow reflex west on). For longer line (solo) kiting I see in principal no difference now from before in the number of opportunities.

OK, time disappears due to additional activities related to the new situation, like: preparation of DIY hand/phone sanitizer, stream line cleaning routine, agreeing to what extent we should go on with activities that carries some risk, driving children so that they don't need to go by public transportation, how we would split the home (using plastic foil and splitting up the food storage...) in case one of us got infected, extra shopping for the mother in law, minimizing normal non-covid19 risks to avoid unnecessary exposure...).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 10:25 AM, BobL said:

I'd like to hear what others are saying

My indoor location is unavailable. I can work from home and am expected to keep my existing work load, so all I gain is the brief commute time. Normally I have a short commute so there is little additional free time. 

So my 2x per week morning indoor sessions are canceled, and I really enjoy my weekend flights. I have taken some evening flights when winds were good, but I am feeling withdrawal overall.

• Like 1

Beaches are closed.  Supplies are limited (I.e. paper products, meat, milk, bread, etc.).  While those of us who live here at the coast stay home and are unable to go to the beach, people who have second homes are flocking from the urban areas to get away from the virus and spent time on the beach.  Since we are a vacation economy (motels, hotels, condos, restaurants), my guess is 70-80% of the permanent residents are unemployed.  I’m afraid a lot of local businesses won’t make it.

We are using the time to catch up on yard work and landscaping.  I am trying to do some kite building and find an empty field with decent wind and no power lines to put up something.  If there are no further blog posts or updates, I have been arrested for trespassing.

• Like 2

its been almost 2 weeks since i started this topic. at that time the number of confirmed cases in my home county- Cowlitz county, Washington was 2, it has since risen to 16... seems  manageable...unless  it doubled to 4 and then to 8...if it rises to 32 and keeps doubling we're in trouble. we need to flatten the curve as the experts say. the website that windwarrior posted says the virus can spread 27 feet instead of the 6 we're using for social distancing. holyschmoly  guys lets be safer out there.

Hi all, I lovingly stand behind the moderator's move to hide a few posts here earlier this morning , not "right and wrong", no injury and no foul but this forum is inherently based on non-divisive topics so let's keep this non kiting stuff very topical or impersonal, plenty of other suitable venues to debate and share opinions on non-kiting stuff.

"Everybody love everybody." -- Jackie Moon

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

from the past 2 months i go every weekend on Busse Woods on Schaumburg and after i launch my new Scintillation on 200' line i have plenty of space around and except some dogs and small kids everybody keep that boundary. i hope soon some of the guys from neighborhoods to show up