KiteLife Forum

KiteLive: Quad 101 - Apr 4, 2020 5:30pm PST

John Barresi

Its finally happening!

The extensive "Quad 101" orientation and roundtable discussion that I do at the start of every Quad Clinic is now going online, where pilots anywhere in the world can join in and participate - I've already had a 3 hour dry run on the webinar platform and it went GREAT with moderation, descriptions, demonstration and exploration.

12 spots open for this first one, gonna be fun and a fraction of what it usually costs to actually go to a clinic, do it from home! ;) 

Registration link:

https://us04web.zoom.us/webinar/register/4515858876563/WN_XhZ472DcQM6k5VgGm_gHkA

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Follow up items, all related to this broader use of online video meetings... ;)

== == == == == ==

@frob:

I just experienced an incredible online Quad 101 session. While the coronavirus is shutting down events around the globe, it enabled a new experience.

I've been to the Quad 101 clinics before. Those are normally amazing. Although the basic description is that John and friends present a checklist of topics and answer questions, the topics go quite deep, far deeper than online tutorials or training videos. Every session is unique and tailored for the people who are present, held as a conversation with discussion and fun demonstrations rather than a lecture. Even with a checklist of topics, every session is different because the people are different.

In this online version it wasn't just that the list was tailored to us. Unlike the in person sessions on the beach with a group that feels like a day at the beach, this small session felt more like a night with friends talking about our favorite subject, or maybe an evening around a campfire sharing stories. We got to know a bit about each other, and what we hoped to learn. We talked about items in the Quad 101 list, never as a PowerPoint or a lecture but like old friends passing along their craft and hoping the future generation can reach even loftier peaks.

All the discussions were tailored unique to our group, for each one of us at our own skill levels, and sometimes restated in different terms until everyone understood. We talked about our kite struggles and performance goals, and ways to reach those goals. Although we couldn't fly together on a beach to practice skills, questions about maneuvers were demonstrated by John's kites and handles, sometimes using a closeup camera on hands to demonstrate and describe both the motions of the body and the motions and intent of the kite. Sometimes more experienced members shared their ideas and insights, too.

In some ways the discussions on how to do things were more insightful than the traditional in-person clinics. Being unable to watch the maneuvers, we instead discussed what motions and behaviors to look for and feel for. There was a great deal of WHY you needed to make a motion, not merely a description of the action. As one example, a person's answer wasn't just that "when you do an axel you pull like this and the kite will spin", instead different pilots explained what they look for, how each one set up the move, why they decided to take different motions in different wind levels and with different kites, and how they developed their abilities to do the trick. Different people expressed different aspects and what they were mindful about while performing, and their own ways to handle varying conditions in the field. This was deeper instruction than online tutorials ever reach.

Overall it was a friendly, somewhat intimate event, with more individual attention than during the traditional clinic.

And perhaps the best part for me, living far from where the clinics are normally held: I didn't need to travel across the country or stay in motels or get sunburned. I could participate from my home.

Thanks everyone for the evening in.

== == == == == ==

@DonFibonacci:

Happened to message John Barresi on the way to my favorite field today and caught him preparing his studio for an online Quad 101 on KiteLive. We’ve both wondered whether this online format could be adapted to an “on-the-field” session that would be worth the effort. Turns out, it totally can!

I was in the field with my tripod, phone, and earbuds (three things I always fly with anyway), and we were able to set up a really natural 1-1 coaching experience via my free Zoom account! JB guided me on camera placement so he could see what he needed to see - but honestly, once the camera was set, the vast majority of the time I was just flying wherever I needed to fly based on the conditions, and JB was in my ear giving me tips.

We chose axels as a good test lesson (hint: I’m terrible at them). He showed me the inputs and technique from the “studio” and after my first effort, he had tips for me based on watching just my hands. After 15-20 reps, each followed by encouragement and further tips, I had improved massively (after we ended the meeting, JB, I hit a couple that were nearly flat!)

Quad 101 covers the introduction and discussion part of John’s real-world clinics. What we did today did a pretty good job of covering the “hands on” part.

== == == == == ==

@Yoyoing_p:

I was in the session that was held today. As someone with < 1 yr of flying under my belt, it was full of what I call "nuggets of gold" - things that would probably have taken me 100s of hours to figure out on my own, broken down in a way I could understand easily. I also appreciated the explanation of how things work and why. Definitely excited to try out what I learned once it's clear to fly again!

== == == == == ==

@Jim Doman:

I've done a couple of clinics with you and the dry run last night was the next best thing to being on the beach. I've got notes on 7 techniques/mechanics you demonstrated and I'll be working on them in the coming weeks and months. I WILL hit a dead flat axel consistently! To everyone else out there, I highly recommend you take a bite of what JB is offering up -- it's great stuff !

== == == == == ==

Some COOL new stuff coming up very soon:

• Like 2
  • Like 1