KiteLife Forum

Leading Edge Spars Question

Huskies

So I bought a used full vent signature series and I notices that the leading edge "ferrule"  more like a dowel to me that connects all the top pieces is loose.  So it will slide into the outer spar to the point its barely sticking out.  So today when I flew I just pulled it out some and connected it.  My question is, Should I just put a dab of crazy glue on it to secure it in place or leave it "floating" as it is.  And if so should I glue it to the center spar or the outer spar.  Right now its in the outer spar but I'm sure I could pull it out and glue it in the center spar.  What do ya'll think?   Thanks

The Old Standard for 1.5 frames was a center double male with outer spars that were interchangeable with the vertical spars.

The B2 used a double female middle spar with single male outer spars. In this particular case, I think it is entirely up to you. I'd suggest the double male approach to give you the interchangability with other frame sets. I would suggest using epoxy or similar glue as super glue can get brittle, release and present you with the same issue again.

Evolution for me, I've grown to prefer the ferrules on the outer tubes,instead of the middle one, breaks down to a shorter overall length and can't reach a slipped inside ferrule is now impossible, just push it out from other side!

i actually prefer travel frames, to vary and position stiffness for conditions 

Never heard of that one before Paul, good idea !  

To refit the ferrule, first scrape off  any residue adhesive and ensure it fits into the rod with ease.   Wrap a piece of adhesive tape to divide the ferrule in half leaving a tab for removal.   I use a super glue gel, works for me, put a small amount in the rod and just a light smear on the ferrule.   Doing it rapidly, insert the ferrule into the rod giving it a twist until it butts up with the tape.  Allow the adhesive to set for a few minutes then remove the tape. Trim off any excess adhesive if required.