KiteLife Forum

Coping with cross-winds in urban flying

frob

With my normal parks closed but some "alternate" venues open, and with the city still recommending people get outdoor exercise while keeping distance, I've had some extra urban flying time.  Unfortunately the area available had some terrible crosswinds, in addition to turbulence from nearby buildings, trees, benches, utility sheds, and pavilion shelters. 

I've done a little experimentation with urban flying from my parking structure and around parts of my preferred parks, but never anything quite like today.  Winds were a cross-wind, ranging from near-stopped to moderate, I'd estimate 1-15 mph.  I switched from a mid-vent to full sail after the first few wind stalls.

My own already-realized notes on the subject of urban crosswinds:

• Short lines seem better. I was using 25' lines, and thought about shifting to 15' lines. I think they would have made it easier.
  • Float around in the middle ground. When you know crosswinds are shifting from due South (180') to North North West (340') do your best to keep floating through the middle ground so transitions are easier. In this case, it means trying to stay south-westerly (180-220 degrees when South, 300-340 degrees with NNW).
  • Footwork keeps power when wind doesn't.  When the wind shifts, that means powering the kite with feet while trying to drift to the new direction.
  • When in trouble or winds cut out completely, apply the indoor concept of "flying means falling slowly". When the shifting wind won't support a hover, walk/jog the kite into a glide.

Even with those, it was challenging today to deal with the cross winds.

Sometimes doing the odd landings on a bench or other object wasn't so much of an active choice, more of a last resort to keep upright and prevent a walk of shame, or prevent losing the kite behind an object. 

Any additional recommendations from the urban flying crowd on how to deal with shifting, variable, turbulent winds?