KiteLife Forum

Trying to find the right quad

DannyT

So I flew a revolution 30 years ago and I think its time to get a new one.  I've been studying the web for the past few weeks and I think I'm more confused now.

I will probably only get to flew 12 times a year.  

Are area has low to no wind most of thet time. 

Kites I've been looking at are the Rex reflex xx and the rx

Also I just got off the phone with them this morning and they are looking to see if they have any full sail 1.5 classics left.

The Djinn is out of my price range. And I'm not sure about the Vertigo/Exodus kites.

I was thinking I can make a kite work that flies in the 3-20 range.

I need lines, handles, everything.

What are your thoughts

Thanks

1 hour ago, DannyT said:

So I flew a revolution 30 years ago and I think its time to get a new one.  I've been studying the web for the past few weeks and I think I'm more confused now.

I will probably only get to flew 12 times a year.  

Are area has low to no wind most of thet time. 

Kites I've been looking at are the Rex reflex xx and the rx

Also I just got off the phone with them this morning and they are looking to see if they have any full sail 1.5 classics left.

The Djinn is out of my price range. And I'm not sure about the Vertigo/Exodus kites.

I was thinking I can make a kite work that flies in the 3-20 range.

I need lines, handles, everything.

What are your thoughts

Thanks

I'd see what Rev comes up with since they're looking into one for you.

I second Riffclown on looking for anyone in your area to test drive one AND for tips on fine tuning things like which knot settings to use etc.

It affects how they feel. It seems strange to me you cited the Djinn as too expensive when it's literally $5 dollars different on the base price.  It seems you have your heart set on the Rev name brand. I wish you the best. I still highly advise you fly before you buy. 

FWIW,

The Reflex RX starts on Rev's site for $380

The Djinn from Kite Forge starts at $375

The Vertigo at OSK is $199.98

The Exodus at OSK runs $229.98

I own or have owned at least one of all of these. (Reflex Tarantella and Reflex XX ) have both been sold now. The Djinn, Vertigo Stack and Exodus all sit in my bag to fly.

My personal opinion is I don't care for the springs on the Rev and QC on the Freileins is top notch. The Djinn is the most advanced quad out there and has the improvements that don't come stock on any other sail. Please get the sail that makes you happy.

Bottom line, There's a reason there are so many Revs for sale and you barely see the others on the secondary market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll throw out another option. A 3 wind from the Kite Shoppe goes for around 200. Talk with Theresa, I’m sure see will give you a good deal with handles and lines. And the 3 wind handles are 13” or 14” they are adjustable to your preference or wind conditions.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, windwarrior said:

Once this covid is dealt with I have a source I'm going to connect with so I can try the Djinn and compare it to the standard 1.5 and B series I have.

I'm dieing to actually SEE the differences first hand since I'm a hands on kinda person. 

NOTHING beats a direct comparison, ideally each kite on identical line and handle combinations,... what about "common framing" btwn versions

• Like 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

NOTHING beats a direct comparison, ideally each kite on identical line and handle combinations,... what about "common framing" btwn versions

Common framing won't be a problem at least not between all the Revs since I have a ridiculous amount of those. Only one I'm worried about would be the Djinn since I don't own any and no clue which set they run with. 

Hey DannyT,

You have been given good information by all who have responded here!!

I do not have a Djinn, yet, but I do own a Freilein Exodus mid vent and a Vertigo, set up with T0 rods for flying in lighter winds.  And as riffclown mentioned, the QC on these quads is top notch.  I might also sugest that you cannot go wrong purchasing a Freilein from Andy and Brenda at www.oceanshoreskites.com.  They are really good people and will take care of you, before and after the sale.

I do think that Rev makes a good product, but they are also doing a couple of funky things with their product as apposed to most, if not all, other builders.

Good luck,

Lon

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 10:39 PM, DannyT said:

For a kite I will fly a dozen or so times a year its hard to justify more than 300 dollars.

That's what you write now. 

Many people get the "kite bug" and go deep. Others don't. If you're sure it will remain casual then get a cheaper one, but if you feel more serious the cost difference is relatively small in the long run.

If it helps, consider hours of entertainment per dollar. Your first learning will cost some extra sail life and repair costs for broken spars, but they are good for many hundred hours of entertainment. The Vertigo and Rev EXP are made from a different fabric than the others which is heavier (Edit, see note) but it also can aid beginners by being slower and more sturdy. But after your first few flying days you may not want that. 

Go fly other people's kites and learn what you prefer, then buy that. Fly other people's kites in a variety of conditions and wind speeds if possible.  You should also try dual line, and other styles like speed kites, power or traction kites, which also have dual and quad line options. All are fun in different ways. 

You originally wrote 3-20 mph range. While there are kites that can do that for a short time, for most of us that means three different kites. A full sail quad can handle the lighter winds but will be stretch out of shape quickly at 20 MPH with high risk of damage at every gust. A mid vent will struggle in light winds and be difficult at 20, but with experience could fly the full range. Neither endpoint would be particularly fun, though. A full vent would not fly for a beginner below about 10 MPH but would be strong at 20. Above 20 you would want a different sail, as well. 

/Edit: Looks like the Vertigo's different fabric is somewhat lighter.  Their web site says it's a slightly lighter polyester, rather than the more typical polycarbonate (PC) fabric.  Either way, the EXP and Vertigo models use a different fabric than the ones used on most of the other major models. It's something to consider.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...