KiteLife Forum

Which stunt kite for second kite?

ackack

Hi I've been flying a Quantum for several years, and now want something with a much higher skill ceiling.  Want to get into more finesse tricks/stalls, instead of just flying fast.

A Hypnotist seems like a good durable choice to learn on, but would that be different enough from a Quantum?  Looking to spend $100-200 but that's not a hard cap.

My normal flying location is like a gusty 10-15+ mph, but I could find new locations if required.  I probably don't want an ultra light, low-wind kite, both for break-ability and I'm in more of a high wind region. 

Also curious about the 4 line kits like the Revolution EXP.  I realize that's a whole other direction, and I can't quite decide if I should go down the 4 line or 2 line route (I realize I'll prob just have both before long).

Thanks for any advice!

i do not know to much about 2 line but if you want to start quads forget about EXP and go straight to an used 1.5,  B or B-Pro. Soon after an EXP you will want more for sure and that will mean another kite so...jump to better ones. You may also want to take a look at at Djinn, Phoenix  Freilen

hi ackack, welcome to the forum.

i started a year ago with a quantum and then moved up to the hypnotist. in answer to your question yes the two are pretty similar...if you want  a kite with a much higher skill ceiling youll need to move up to kites with higher tech frames for light weight/stiffness, . the quantum/hypnotist are a little too limber for quick inputs and quick response. it wouldnt be long before you wanted to move up again...i did...i noticed some good deals on discontinued prism kites while i was still a novice and bought an ultralight zephyr and a standard E3, both another step up from the hypnotist. these 2 kites are about all i need to move up (slowly) to intermediate level except for two things:  low wind where i live,  and i just love kites. typically the wind around here ranges from calm to 4 or 5 mph for days if not weeks so i have picked up a few kites to cover the low range..

back to your situation; a  standard with a wind range of say 3 to 18 should do. once you get to the teens its tough to do slack line tricks  anyway. if your usual flying fields have a lot of 10 to 15+ winds you will want to look around for some lower wind spots too.

your best buy for a really good kite is an Into the Wind Hydra, a 7' 5"  $225  kite for half price...thats $112.50  (dont wait too long if you want one its being closed out)   the used market for higher  end  kites is a great way to go. i might be putting my foot in it but i bet one of the members here would part with a great kite for a fair price to help you out. good luck on whichever way you go.

• Like 1

If you're looking for something that you can slack line on in higher winds, look for a vented. Yes, it will be a little more expensive, but it will give you a wider (usable) wind range, and it will have a stronger frame. Good luck in your search!

i thought about a vented kite for ackack but the two im a little familiar with, the Deep Space V  from Benson and the Silver Fox Vented from Flying Wings (?) both say 8 mph for their starting wind range...add another 2 mph for regular flyers and  now ackack is stuck flying in 10+ winds regardless of the weather or where he flys. does anyone know of vented kites with a lower wind range?  im kind of interested myself.

Just because one has a vented (dual line) kite, this does not mean that the usual "slack line tricks" will be attainable......where's Breezin when we need him as he flies in crazy winds and has tackled this subject. The same applies in zero/low wind flying...

There are some variable venting kites out there....have Ken build you a Mamba.....(is that reference allowed??).

I have a vented AirFX, and a vented Pro Dancer....I can fly them in below the rated wind range but why as they are part of sets of kites...sul to vented. The only vented kite I have that can have a lower wind range is a vented Rev 1.5 that I put a 2 wrap in, or a full sail Rev 2 that I put a 2 wrap frame in as well. That's the cool thing about Revs....changing out frames.... Now having said that the other 1.5 sized quads....Djinn, OSK can do this as well.

The moral of the story is buy more kites!!!!

bt

My vented experience is with the Silver Fox 2.5 Vented. When I purchased it, its advertised wind wanted was 3-30 mph. It will fly (in 3 point bridle "mode") in 3-5 mph winds with effort. Above 5 mph it becomes more predictable/easier to keep the sails full. Being vented, you'll have much less forward movement to stall the kite (compared to a standard in similar conditions). And personally, I think having the extra mass makes learning axels and back spins much easier.

a vented Pro Dancer?  how did that work out? and how did it come to be vented? wow you blew my mind

getting back to ackacks problem, i think its safe to say there are standards out there in his budget that beat a Hypnotist. maybe a Widow NG, or the Magnum both by Premier ready to fly for less than $200. 

is the SF 2.5 the one Lam Hoac designed?

hey ackack, glad to hear you got the Hydra, you wont regret it.

im excited someone took my advice lol. i think you just promoted me to intermediate level.

this is a Focus/Hydra  which Into The Wind got the right to copy and sell not sure if  the ITW/Hydra differs from the original.

19 hours ago, BobL said:

a vented Pro Dancer?  how did that work out? and how did it come to be vented? wow you blew my mind

Well I lucked out big time on the ol' gwtw forum that had the bestest swap meet!!!! Especially when everyone was into getting the new shiny....so some classics were sadly overlooked as they didn't just hand out all the latest flippy flappy tricks so nobody wanted them...am I being biased here...lol.... I ain't no kite trickster by any means, and must admit was under under the tutelage of Mr. Ray Bethel who would let me try out his PD's and Kestral's when I lived in Vancouver. It took about 30 seconds to fall in love with the PD sul and all the PD kites fly the same, which cannot be said for other standard vs vented kites of the same model. I must also add I got my vented AirFX (which is way rare) from this here wonderful place....so ya never know!

Skyburner made a whole set of PD's but were mainly known for the sul. I first bought a PD sul locally, scooped a PD ul from the infamous Paul Fouts collection, plus a PD vented from the same forum. I have pix on another machine...on iPad now...will check later. In the meantime here are a couple of pix that show a whole PD set that were up for sale on that old forum.....crappy pix but you can see them. The person didn't want to break up the set so I didn't get the PD standard.....and couldn't afford the whole set....

Again these kites are not mine....in gwtw swap meet...many moons ago. I have a gold sul, black/white/blue(s) ul, and black/white/teal vented and will look for pix.....

bt

On a side note....and hope he's OK.....search Breezin's posts here on this forum, as he well documented his foray's into brutal wind flying. 

IMG_0004.PNG

IMG_0005.PNG

thanks for filling me in mebeatee, i had no idea  the pd came in sul. ul, standard, and vented... the sul is the only one around and still selling since ive been flying.  when you said you had a PD vented i assumed it was a PD sul vented...thats what blew my mind. yup starting out as a rookie in a new sport keeps you humble.

thanks TubaKite.  i am looking for an ATM by Lam Hoac preferably the SUL but they have just about become extinct thats why im also looking for a silverfox 2.2 because of Lam Hoac's work on that family of kites.

the Silverfox 2.5 vented is another kite that interests me because of the wind range you mentioned, 3-30. would you mind describing how it flies? all i know is what ive read online...they seem to have some issues...Theresa at the Kite Shoppe speaks well of them.

BobL, the SF 2.5 vented is a heavy kite. The sail is super reinforced and the frame dynamic T18 (the strongest rods dynamic makes I think). All that weight makes it very easy to spin and flip, and feels reassuring on the end of the lines (like you don't have to be gentle). Being vented, you can fly it in higher winds, but still not feel much pull, but it can still lay on it's back like a standard. And the 2 mode bridle is a nice touch, almost like getting 2 kites in one.
You should try contacting Lam Hoac. He may be willing to make you the ATM of your dreams. Some day (when I win the lottery) I'll own a suite of Lam's kites.