KiteLife Forum

italian flight instruction on youtube

tomdiving

ran across this info by accident and am very glad that i did. i will assume that this has been listed on this site before, but maybe it can come to light for the newer flyers now.

fascinating. you can see other levels of instruction with a search of "fly 4 fun." i happened to find the master's list.

tom

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fly+4+fun+master

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Funny thing is that we had a video talk room last week and these flyers were discussed.    JB can and probably will give you good information on their style of flying my only contribution was to look at the length of the handles they use, much longer that most of us !

mine are like that, much more "throw" makes dramatic slack and refilling with power easier,... there's another side to that coin though, long throws also torque your wrists, so best in low wind or for a quick demo in brisk powered winds.

19 inch grade five titanium tubes, 3/8ths of an inch in diameter, super light weight (less mass equals a quicker redirection, flicking it!), strong enough that they have been run over by a squad car w/o deformation.

My advice, whenever possible,... well actually two things: 1st "Take the best, dump the rest", (lots of folks will offer advise, own what fits you, steal their best stuff, make art your own, dump everything that doesn't fit YOU.  It's a journey that matters, enjoying the ride not getting to the destination. (which is perfect control at all times)

#2, form your own opinion, trust no one when it comes to "feel", did it feel better to you?  The seat belt and steering wheel in every car can move, why 'cause the facortry designers and builders couldn't get it right? No because you make the care "your own" where do the controls feel best to you?  Have ya tried options? What if a bunch of friends gathered together and you got to fly everyone else toys and compare the feel?

The more personal experiences you can call upon, the more unique your flights will become.  You'll have your own style, recognized by others if they met you for long previously.

Ti handles.jpg

• Like 1

mr. LaMasters - great input and greatly appreciated. your comments brought a couple from the head coach of our swim team to mind. he once completely stopped a practice that wasn't going to his standards of excellence and literally shouted "YOU GOTTA DO THE WORK!" got the kids back on track and continued on wonderfully. the following year there was another minor issue and he again totally stopped the practice and out came "THE PROCESS *IS* THE REWARD!" i think about those 2 comments all of the time and they actually stopped me from taking lessons from brett marchel, whom is a truly a great guy and very local to me.

i actually enjoy failing and learning from those failures. if someone gives me all of the answers then i see the journey as being less than it could have been. of course, we all do need help at times, though. and i do seek help and accept help offered when necessary.

with that, i seek your help - how in the world do you bend the titanium tubes?  do you have a preferred seller of those? what about supergluing the leaders on to the tubes, saving the tip weight of the tape?

thanks!

tom

Ha, didn't test it, actually had em run over by the park service in DC

I bent in pipe bender, so all of the curvature is up higher,.... lots of stock handles have two slight bends where you hand fits between.  I prefer a bend like the indoor handles, less curvature placed higher up towards the top.  This are super weird feeling to most pilots but I have literally thousands of hours of practice(not flying with intent for me)s,.... hey some folks drive almost fully reclined! You have to find your own perfection.

If I were to offer advise, tightly pack the tube with wet sand, tightly, so it does not fold if severe angles are desired,... I didn't do it and mine came out fine.

the foam (Glenn haynes) wore out so I had custom wooden handles crafted to fit those titanium tubes... shaped like pistol grips, anatomically correct for fingers and palm grip in each hand, complete overkill!,!

when first made, late nineties the weight with a 120feet of 100# skybond wrapped around is less than stock rev handles alone, heavier now with the wood handles(mike van meers 

when first made, leaders were attached old school method(recDOTkites- a nail thru the handle wall and string larksheaded to it) now I use the plastic wall mount molly insert  and a trumpet- headed drywall screw

• 9 months later...

tomdiving. Much Thanks for the heads up video channel. Some of the moves reminds me of our helicopter F3C precision drills (Yes, I was/still am, into rc helicopter and only recently into kite). I was looking into 'something' to fly without having to register my planes/helicopter (new rules governing remote control UAV's) - this came about with irresponsible drone flyers around the world that intruded into commercial airports and brought flights to a standstill. The Quad Kite was the choice.