KiteLife Forum

Symphony 2.2.4 (June 23, 2020)

John Barresi

We're pleased to yet again announce the next prize being given away to our most appreciated supporters, the Kitelife Subscribers... For roughly 10 cents per day they play a major role in keeping KL growing in every way.

This is one of the more unique Subscriber prizes we've offered to date!

Screen_Shot_2020-05-10_at_10_57.35_AM.png

Our winner will receive one moderately used Symphony 2.2(.4), manufactured by HQ Kites ($85 value) as a dual line foil and then significantly modified into a superb quad line (adding the ".4") by our very own @riffclown from here on the forum, Riff is already well known for his passion and ingenuity and received direct blessings from HQ USA as well... This is one of the best handling quad foils I've had the pleasure of flying, and Riff has even shared the plans for anyone who would like to mod their own kite.

Previous forum discussion on the subject, and the plans:

https://kitelife.com/forum/topic/7264-my-hq-symphony-224/

** Lines and handles are NOT included, recommendation is between 50'-100' of 90#-200# line.

==

Here is my own squad Team KiteLife, having an absolute blast on these...

==

Some interplay, alongside a B-Series for scale and speed comparison...

==

The actual build in time lapse...

==

If you haven't done so already, You can sign up here.

Odds of winning for this prize is currently 1/415, and will be drawn on June 23rd, 2020!

Our thanks, and the very best to you... Let the drooling begin. ;)

• Like 2

Definitely a good intro to quad line flying. Great, " Here, fly mine" kite.

@John Barresi was doing monkey bars his first time out with it.

Saw one video where @Flight Risk actually axel'd his.

FWIW, it also generates a decent amount of pull in higher winds. My first buggy ride was with a Symphony 2.2.4

• 1 month later...

*insert ripping drum roll*

Our lucky winner is #1602, @midibot is taking this bad boy home to Canada!

Congratulations Michael, and thanks to all for playing! 🥰

==

Stay tuned, got some cool stuff in from @Skydog Kites very recently...

I think you'll really like it, probably break it up into 3-4 drawings.

Talk soon! 😘

• Like 2

Wow!

I never win nuthin!

Thank you very much. I remember reading the riffclown thread about this some time ago, and had the thought of converting a Symphony but never did get past the thought.

Now, my lack of sewing skills is irrelevant, for this project anyways.

Awesome is right.

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 3

• John Barresi unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

The Kite package finally arrived here in Ontario, after a voyage of in excess of three weeks from the Pacific Northwest of the US, down to San Francisco international distribution for USPS, up to Vancouver, British Columbia and across the continent to the Toronto Ontario area. In these Covid times the mails, while perhaps a little slower, do once again, come through. Hooray for USPS and Canada Post.

I was excited to try the kite but had to wait a couple of days for decent conditions and a window of opportunity. Finally we had a day this past week where winds were 15 to 25 kph and I grabbed the kite along with a couple of other similar kites to give it a go.

The only spare set of quad lines I had to hand for the new kite was 100 feet of 150# that I use in upper wind for my revolution style kites - and I started with those. The Symphony 2.2.4 flew fine on those lines, although they are perhaps a little longer than I might prefer. I am not sure that those lines would be good for extended use in bigger winds as … man… does that kite pull in the middle of a wind window. I was leaning back big time! Will need to tweak the brake line length if continue with those lines, probably with another knot or two in the leader at the kite end.

I also had out a smaller Flexifoil Sting, and that is a really sweet little kite which has been tuned properly with its shorter pre-configured lines. I will likely come up with a set of dedicated lines for the Symphony; something in the range of 80 to 90 feet...? Perhaps a little research to determine what a proper line strength might be. Some of my other power kites have heavier flying lines than the brake lines and I am thinking something like 200 pounds over 150. (Thoughts welcome on that.)

I have been flying mainly in lower winds of late out of preference, and on this outing I was getting some adrenaline flowing with the pull in the bigger wind. That was a lot of fun!

Thank you very much J B for this prize. I was particularly pleased to also have received a set of quad leader lines which I look forward to adding to a spare set of handles that I wanna get going for one of my Freilien quads. 

Hats off also to riffclown for coming up with the conversion process from two to four lines on the Symphony.

Outstanding!

• Like 1
  • Like 3