KiteLife Forum

Suggestions Needed for Large Single Line

thebbqguy

I received a $100 gift card to Amazon from my employer. I want to buy a kite. I hoped for a sled/lifter but after lots of searching don't see alot of candidates on Amazon.

What do you think of the ITW Delta Conyne Kite? Unless I fund a better value for a large sized kite, I'll probably get it.

Any suggestions?

GombergKites has a nice sale of double Delta Conyne that are great lifters, easy enough for one person to handle and still get into the air with  light to moderate wind.  1931113908_ScreenShot2020-05-14at2_46_36PM.thumb.png.4d09d22f266cd2081650702b887ca2cf.pngHere it is in our crummy inland wind carrying a 24 inch spinner tail and a 25 foot snake line for  laundry. It has a unique crossing sparing that lets it fly without a tail and self adjust to wind conditions. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. In the video of that one it looks a little fluttery.

I have been pondering the Rocky Mountain Conyne also. In the videos, it's a very stable flyer.

https://www.amazon.com/Into-Wind-Rocky-Mountain-Conyne/dp/B01N6AFT5K

It should lift a GoPro or some smaller tails or line laundry according to the Jim Nicholls reviews. I've tried to find the Stratosphere Double Conyne on Amazon, but don't see it.

The question of what line to use is not a simple one.

Obviously for strong winds or buffeting wind that applies a sudden strain, a stouter line is needed.

If you are flying on dyneema line, you can do that without much weight penalty, but that's the downside of using heavier dacron.  There was an interesting experiment (I can't recall if it was in FB or Kiting Mag) where Ken Conrad actually put a strain gage on peoples fly line and it showed that they pulled far less than people thought.

So for the small and medium sized lifters you are considering, what you are risking is the kite breaking free and landing in a tree or in the next state.  There are safety concerns with big lifters that make using the recommended line imperative. 

• Like 1

I think 300# is the conservative choice with the Double Delta Conyne. 

The kite, wooden winder, 2 transition tails and 500' of 300# line is $148.

With the SuperSled, we're at $170 with the 25' tail I like. The difference is the tail pretty much.

• Like 1

The 300# line is for flying a bunch of laundry. I have 3 12' spikey balls and the Super Sled. The 170# would be fine. The 300# has a lot of wind resistance and sags quite a bit flying just the kite. 

• 1 month later...