KiteLife Forum

6-12MPH Kite for New guy

CarbonCrusher

New to the forum.  I have been a high wind flyer only 15-25--Quantum, 25+ Galaxy, Whizz.  I would like to get a kite for 6-12 that I can learn some tricks on, and have fun flying.  I would stick to my other ones on windy days.(struggle with the Whizz).  I can fly punch squares and control the Quantum through the power window and at the edges, no tricks tried.  The kite is not much fun under 12MPH.  I have been reading some posts regarding lighter wind kites,and I hope you can steer me along a little.  I like the looks of big kites,One eleven is one that seems good.  Would this kite be too slow at that wind speed.  I also like all Level One kites(Bad Ass and Reloaded).  My fear for these kites whether Std or UL is would they withstand a few(many) earth hits.  I actually never hit the galaxy or Quantum to the ground anymore, but I just fly them, no tricks.  I will be retiring in the next year and plan to spend a good amount of time on this hobby.  If money and skill were no object(unfortunately it is), I really like the look of the  Mamba, and the fact to help a kite builder do what he does in these times.   However I do not think potentially destroying an excellent kite is wise.I have also been checking into the Challengers from OSK(owner is a nice guy) but not too much info exists.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Tim(they call me Blue) .  Thank you.

If you don't want to destroy kites, don't fly. It's inevitable. Nothing ventured; nothing gained. No matter what kite you use to learn tricks, you will eventually break something. It may as well be one which helps most while learning. Fixing an expensive kite is much cheaper than replacing a lesser one.

• Like 1

While I don't consider myself qualified to make a duallie recommendation, I will say it's probably worth your time, once you get some valid kites in mind, to reach out to the used market for the kite you are interested in.

I've never flown a Challenger but I have dealt with Ocean Shores kites. They are a reputable dealer and can be trusted. Biggest drawback is no online ordering..

Your quantum should be able to fly down to 5 mph. It will require adjusting the bridle to create more lift, and more (body) movement than you're used to (when wind is inadequate, we make our own). Also, flying a standard down to its lower limits, requires much more finesse or a lighter touch. Practicing with your quantum down to 5 mph will help you develop the skills to start doing slack line tricks, and make it much easier when you do finally acquire an UL or SUL.

• Like 2
  • Like 1

Browse through the threads in the "dual line" topics on this forum to get an idea of which kites people like for different reasons. Look to purchase a used kite either here on the forum or elsewhere online. Used kites can keep the cost down and help you not worry as much about destroying the kite as a brand new kite might. Like a used car, it already comes with the first scratch on it.

• Like 1

That's because active pilots don't generally sell their gear. It happens sometimes, which is what gets posted here. Most sales of good gear are people getting out of flying and want it to go where it will be used, but only after trying to get it to people they personally know who want to fly. 

When they are posted they are often snapped up quickly. 

Often it is easier to find listings on social media, local sales boards like Craigslist, and general sites like eBay, from people who inherent a bunch of good kites and don't know what else to do with them. Often they sell them as a group, like a bundle of 15 kites from the 1980s or 1990s with minimal description or photos. There's also people who only flew once and gave up, with a huge range of gear quality. 

• Like 1

Hey CarbonCrusher,

As usual, you have received good feedback and help here.  This is a GREAT group of individuals who are always willing to help!!

Regarding your question of the Challenger sport kites available from www.oceanshoreskites.com.  I currently own both a STD and a Vented Challenger that I purchased from Andy and Brenda.  They have a fantastic kite shop there in Ocean Shores and just in case you do make contact with mother earth a little harder than intended, who hasn't, they have all the parts you may need to get your kite back in the air.  They also carry many other items to make your flying all it can be🤪 

Riffclown is correct in that you really cannot order online, but that is not a problem.  Just pick up the phone.  They are more than happy to answer your questions, take your order and get your new kite in the mail.

By the way, I am very, very happy with my Challengers and would not hesitate to purchase another one!!

Regards, Lon

I have dealt with Andy, and he is a super nice guy.  That is what got me looking at the Challengers.  Does the Std fly well in 6-12 or would you get the Lite?  Yes, I am glad to get some input here.  I actually have quite a few good places to fly around here.  I will not likely ever fly below 6, and when the wind is above 20, the Whizz will be out.  Paul from Level One has been very responsive, the Badass or the Hydra(he designed it right) are his recommends.  Seems like a good guy.  Thanks for the help.

You would need to ask Andy about the wind ranged for the lite vs std additions.  I do know that much of it has to do with ones experience level.  A skilled pilot, not me yet, would have a much easier time flying in the lower wind ranges with a std sail.  And it seems that a number of guy's really like flying a SUL model in low winds.  Me, well I struggle to get the darn wing off the ground and keep it in the air when the wind dies down🤪

Regarding the quality of the Challenger, it seems very well made.  I have not seen the UL version, so cannot really say, sorry.

welcome to the forum Carbon Crusher

we recently had a similar conversation with ackack in Sport Kites/General Sport Kite/ "which  stunt kite for second kite?"  i think hes going to really like his new Into The Wind/ Hydra...very good buy right now for $112.50.  check it out at Into The Wind item #7231  there should be a you tube vid of the hydra linked with ackack's post..i have 3 of them myself. good luck.

Hey Tim,

Sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner.  I'd say say the approx wind range I have flown in is around 6mph and up.  Probly ideally around 8 - 10.

The Hydra is a great buy at $112.50!!  I really don't know much about the Badass, but have a friend, Kent Kingston, who has a Mamba and he loves it!!  American made, which is a BIG plus in my book, but will cost you a little more.  and if you factor in the smiles per miles, maybe not so bad😀

You could also check with Kent at www.awindofchange.com and see what he might have!!

Good luck!!

I went with the Mamba.  I really like the fact that Ken is making this for me based on what I like, and doing it at his shop in North Carolina.  Pic will follow when I get it.  I would like to thank you all for your comments.  I locked on to Makatakam's advice to get what I want and not worry about the crashes.  The Hydra would have been the financially responsible pick(never good at that).    Blue

• Like 1

Yes, I am really looking forward to getting it.  I told him the colors I wanted and he sent me like 12 variations, of which I liked them all.  He is going to make me one of them per his choosing.  It will be unknown to me as to which one he picks.  Retirement gift to myself.  I look forward to my development in this hobby.  Blue

• Like 2

5 hours ago, khsidekick said:

I haven’t been able to connect with my Hydra yet.

I like this way of seeing it – i.e. the last word, the “yet”. Accept ten sessions of “Meeeehhhh…, what is this kind of kite??” or perhaps you need to put it away for a year until ones skills in some area slowly “unlocks” the kite. I have had three instances of kites whose properties that were so different from what I was used to, that it took time before I accepted them, but having gone through that process these three have have all been rewarding in teaching me new distinct aspects.

Yes the ITW Hydra (in addition the the three above mentioned) also felt a little peculiar to begin with, though I didn’t dislike it at any point. It felt a bit sensitive and didn’t hold the turtles/back flips well (I guess this when well controlled could be a feature). The Hydra also turned out to be rewarding. It got me starting with the axel cascade, since it didn’t end up on its back after a few cycles. Having the “Hydra axel cascade” I could then work on axel cascades of other kites that demanded a small pull on the lower wing before the major pop on the top wing.

• Like 1

I went to a duel line clinic in Long Beach WA put on on by John a couple years ago. Paul Dabacker and Scott Weider were there helping to teach all of us tricks or what ever we wanted to learn. At one point John had Paul flying his Hydra and was calling out tricks one after another for several minutes. Paul only hesitated on a double roll up, but pulled it off with ease. I was amazed at how Paul’s feet were constantly moving, and that’s what I learned from him that day. Keep your feet moving. I’m no trick flier by no means but have learned a few over the last couple years after attending the clinic. My personal favorite kite is an ATM I have both STD and UL and beat the crap out of both and they have taken the abuse with minor repairs. Kind of gotten off topic sorry. My Mamba is the UL Moonie version so I take it easier on it than most of my other kites. When I started flying it I kept having issues with wing wraps and was unable to unwrap on the ground with out walking. I added vinyl end caps to solve this problem for me. The Mamba has replaced my Solus UL that I flew into a T post at WSKIF last year. I’m usually not so long winded. Sorry. You are going to enjoy your mamba! Nice choice

• Like 2

I have a Mamba....along with a whole bunch more BMK/Aerie kites. (the only brand I have more of are revs). The bestest!!!!!! There's a reason the Mamba is still around....and you're going to find out why!!!!

And yes the vinyl end caps are pretty well a go on any dualie....otherwise known as Dorsal caps....you GWTW folks will recall 😉..

bt