KiteLife Forum

Welcome 4Eyes

Hello @4Eyes,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Hi there,

I'm total newbie. I live in a pretty windy area and as I have been fascinated by flying (mostly free flight aircraft models) I thought I could get some of use of the wind, instead of complaining about it. I've been tinkering with flying a stunt kite for a while (flying kites is considered a child activity, mostly in autumn in my area - but who cares). I've been amazed be tricks that are possible with just two lines, and what is better relax in this overtechnologized age than a kite attached to your arms in a wind...no electronics, no internet... so I have bought Orao FYF 500 as my training kite, I have done first flights and I am learning the basics to control the beast.

now, as I know from my other hobby - one kite wont be enough, and as my b-day is approaching fast, that rises a question - what kite to but next as a step up for somone who wants to get into a world of tricks an master them after I learn basic stuff? I see Benson kites are considered as one of the best - superfly or supernova? other options? lot of the links for kite making brands are dead already, it seems I'm late to the party. I was also playing with an idea of building one by myself (due to my nature of liking to make and build stuff), based on the open source plans, but as I don't own sewing machine and buying the materials would cost a fortune it's not very feasible option-but maybe one day, who knows, when I introduce my kid into the world of flying :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 4Eyes said:

flying kites is considered a child activity

I’d say it is mostly originating from people in general not knowing: what it is, what kites can offer and do. But with this ”setting of reality” it becomes an exercise in not caring about what others think. This also applies on the field – to learn something new you need to accept to fail, most often in public, since a kite is very visible. This view is actually a bit odd considering that you are probably the the most skilled person when it comes to kites on that beach or that field. Personally, my QLK low/zero wind development was delayed by this (and that is truly stupid).

9 hours ago, 4Eyes said:

a kite attached to your arms in a wind...no electronics, no internet...

Totally agree! Not having to: charge the kite, regularly update it, fear stop receiving the updates, stop being able to see it well in day light, accept that you can't repair it or need keeping it from water is a luxury!

9 hours ago, 4Eyes said:

one kite wont be enough, and as my b-day is approaching fast, that rises a question - what kite to but next as a step up for somone who wants to get into a world of tricks an master them after I learn basic stuff?

If having only one DLK, the first thing (before considering a certain a brand) I’d think of is what wind range I’d like to cover when purchasing the next one. Then try to figure out which model that could offer you that wind range and other desirable properties. Also from the manufacturers video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC0dU6Wp5zY ) the possible tricks with this model should keep ”a total newbie” occupied for a long time (I have never started learning the comet btw). Don’t underestimate the time it takes learning a new trick until you can claim it (but do enjoy the trip!).

Now I certainly don’t say don’t go for that second kite. They all have different properties that provide food for thought and affect the direction of your kiting. Typically (talking for myself at least) learn a slack line trick (or turn, or landing/start...) on one kite (that is more prone to do it) and then transfer it to another model. Also if having a 2m span kite, after a while it is not surprising if one would get curious of a more full size one.

As you seem to realize, this second kite could lead to another kite and then another… Good luck with your development!

On 5/24/2020 at 9:41 AM, Exult said:

Now I certainly don’t say don’t go for that second kite. They all have different properties that provide food for thought and affect the direction of your kiting. Typically (talking for myself at least) learn a slack line trick (or turn, or landing/start...) on one kite (that is more prone to do it) and then transfer it to another model. Also if having a 2m span kite, after a while it is not surprising if one would get curious of a more full size one.

As you seem to realize, this second kite could lead to another kite and then another… Good luck with your development!

thank you, I really quickly realized I want something that can be packed into much more smaller package ...haha...I'm also tempted to build my own. I'm surely not underestimating learning curve and I'm well aware that even the cheapest kite will perform quite of tricks in hands of experienced pilot. I'm just doing a bit of a research, where to look at next, if there is some general recommendation or not. But looking at it from perspective of covering more options s great hint. the one I picked has 2m wingspan, needs a bit of a wind to get flying. so next one will be something probably larger and lighter for days with not so strong wind. lot's of research ahead of me - both on flying theory and also the gear... fun times