KiteLife Forum

Vent Covers for REV 1.5 Vented?

roguekiter

Okay, I've had my new Rev 1.5 Vented for 10 days now. I finally got out and flew it yesterday but the winds were a little on the light side for this kite. :(

I bought this kite with the intention of having something that I can use on my trips to the coast for when the winds pick up to over 15 mph, but I'd also like to get some flying time with it here in the inland wind "dead zone" where I live (southern Oregon).

Before I go and alter a brand new kite though, I thought I'd see if anyone is quadified in flying a Vented Rev with nylon vent-covers (attached around the perimeter of the vents w/velcro)? Is it worth making the alteration? The idea of increasing the wind-range of the kite using this method is intriguing but I'd like to know if it has any adverse effects on the kite either when the covers are is use or not in use.

Thanks in advance for any quadified responses...

:P

:sign_kitelife:

I fly my vented 1.5 and 1 regularly with 2 wrap frames for light wind days. This is talked about in several other threads and will allow you to lower your wind range. Personally, I would not add the covers. The real answer is the 1.5 SUL for those light wind days.

I have added vents to a number of dual-line kites, with attachable covers for the vents. With the covers attached, the kite handled almost exactly like it did before it was vented, but with the covers removed the kite definitely acted like a vented kite should. In other words, adding the covers certainly will give you some loweer wind performance.

Since 1/4" or 3/8" Velcro doesn't seem to be available, I simply cut my 3/4" stuff down the middle with scissors. I don't bother sewing Velcro around the entire perimeter, unless it is an "appearance" issue - use enough to keep the corners attached and the larger areas from flapping in the breeze. Then I sew the Velcro to the front of the kite (the side I'm looking at when the kite is flying). I sew the pile side to the kite, as grass etc. is less likely to get stuck to the pile - it also eliminates the addition of more stuff to snag the kitebag when I put the kite away.

None of the Velcro attached covers has ever blown off in flight.

I second the vote for using the SUL 2 wrap spars in a vented, it's what I do as well.

The extra weight of the standard SLE spars plus the velcro plus the extra material... I haven't tried it, but I don't think it would fly better than a vented with just 2 wrap spars.

Of course, as nckiter said, the SUL would be best. When the wind picks up, you can take the SUL spars out of the SUL and put them in your vented. When the wind picks up more, put the SLE spar back in your vented.

To those that responded, thanks for the feedback. :) Even though the nays have it (2-1), I still think I might give it a try anyhow. If I'm careful about it, I can always remove the velcro later on if I'm not satisfied with how the modification works out -- or when I get that 1.5 SUL! :blue_wink:

I don't bother sewing Velcro around the entire perimeter, unless it is an "appearance" issue - use enough to keep the corners attached and the larger areas from flapping in the breeze.

Dorsal -- Thanks for the details. Made me take a second look at the kite before buying some velcro last night (5/8", will cut in half to make 5/16" strips). My plan (if I go though with it) is to sew the velcro pile along the vertical and upper (LE) horizontal section of each vent EXCEPT for any (vertical) areas where the vent material is sewn to a mylar panel.

The extra weight of the standard SLE spars plus the velcro plus the extra material... I haven't tried it, but I don't think it would fly better than a vented with just 2 wrap spars.

Mike (& nckiter) -- someone :blushing: neglected to mention that they purchased the kite with a 4 wrap LE instead of the standard SLE. :blue-cool: Since 4 wrap spars are a little bit lighter than SLE spars, I'm hoping that the addition of some velcro and fabric won't make the kite any heavier than what a standard 1.5 SLE Vented would weigh and yet have approx. 2 sq. ft. of additional "sail" surface. Maybe I should get some 2 wrap spars as well as making vent covers. hmmmm...

I'll let you all know how it works out if I actually go through with this...

Thanks again for the responses.

:)

Don't mess with the sail!!!!! Get a two wrap frame!!!! I have flown my vented with the 2 wrap in about 6mph and it worked. A little work, but with my skill level ( Limited as it may be ) it was good. Can't wait for 10!!! Don't mess with it.

Steve :)

Give it a chance. Wait for about 10 MPH winds, and you will have a great time. The difference btw the stock frame and the 2 wrap is like night and day. The 2 wrap frame will work well with the EXP as well. The vented kite doesn't have much pull, something I'm getting used to.

Steve

Oh, and get some 50# lines too... Makes all the difference in the world. :w00t:

Already have em! (100' length, me know nothing :( about 120' 'til I visit iQuad website)

Ed, are you going to WSIKF?

If so, I should put you on the mega quad team list... We have 20 lined up right now.

Yep, I'm be there for all :D but the final day (Sun. 8/27).

I'm afraid I may not qualify for the mega quad fly for the following reasons:

1. All my quad linesets (50, 90, 150, and 150/90 #) are 100' in length. I'm guessing you will all be flying 120s?

2. I probably don't have near the control (yet) to fly in a group that is that "insanely" (sic) large. :bones:

And most importantly:

3. I've never flown with a monkey before. Does he go ape if you screw up? ;)

Here's the list... Posted on GWTW.

http://gwtw-kites.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29752&

Penny, order a 120' set!

We're going to be on short supply... Any "hard core" Rev flier should have a set of these on hand... Theresa might have some on hand for sale at WSIKF, if needed.

I'm going to prioritize the extra sets to people who aren't "hard core" yet... It's the least I can do, to encourage their participation. :sign_kitelife:

If I can get Theresa to make me up some 120's in time for WSIKF, what would you recommend for my 1.5 Vented? 90# or 150#?

:w00t: Did someone say that one of the requirements for the quad mega fly was that each participant must be wearing at least one piece of iQuad apparel? (t-shirt, sweatshirt, hat, etc...)

~ no Monkey, I don't think a thong would quadify! ~ :bones:

80#/90# is the most versatile set of lines... They'll work all the way up to about 25mph for the average flier, or up to about 35mph in skilled hands.

No requirement on apparel... But it is guaranteed to increase your quad sexiness by a minimum of 45%! :kid_smartass:

Take your pick - http://www.cafepress.com/kitelife/1468529

If I can get Theresa to make me up some 120's in time for WSIKF, what would you recommend for my 1.5 Vented? 90# or 150#?

:kid_smartass:

:blushing::)

LPG 90# X 120' done and ready to go! :)

Thanks Ed!

T

OT......Really looking forward to seeing your bols! :)

hmmmmm....you know what I mean, but it just doesn't sound right in type LOL!