KiteLife Forum

MY Evolution as a Kite Maker

riffclown

@westersIn response to your question I started another topic to cover my evolution as a kite maker.

I started out with the intent of making my own and wanting a Shook Mesh I couldn't afford. Since I wasn't comfortable hemming and folding strips at the time I started out with Gomberg Skywriter tails.

My first efforts are all in my HomeMade gallery. Older kites are on Page 3 (as of this post)

In Fall 2017 I made my first kite  that wasn't made from tails. I got some closeout material from one of the regular vendors and made my First indigo sunrise. I made to decision to learn the craft fully and in very Early 2018 and spent some time with Eliot Shook down at Flying Smiles Kites and he showed me the basics for the Leading Edge.  I also started playing with Orange and Blue Nylon that was part of the same sale. The Perspective Stack, Midnight Royal Taboo, and The Jester followed very quickly. The Jester spawned the technique I refined to make the original Diamonds kite in Feb 2018.

I then got up the nerve to order some Icarex and asked for all the scraps they were willing to let me have.  I've been playing with color, designs, materials and refinements ever since. 

That pretty much sums up my personal evolution as a kite maker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for sharing.

The kites presented in the bottom two links are stunning! (I had trouble with the first link.) It boggles the mind to consider the intricacies of planning and execution involved with that diamond pattern. So beautifully done! Much respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Great post. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of your build threads. Your creativity is inspiring, everyone has been building kites for 100`s of years and you create a new diamond's technique. Thanks for keeping the forum alive and creative!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1