KiteLife Forum

New rev quads

Kite Girl

My husband and I just got our first Rev quad kites... and well we are having a bit of trouble with setting up the lines.. are both sets of lines equal in length? If they are different which ones go on top and which ones go on the bottom? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

💨

The lines are (supposed to be) equal length, so it doesn't matter which go on top and which on bottom as far as flying goes.  But most people choose a color for the bottoms and one for the tops and stick to that.

My mnemonic is that the ground is "darker" than the sky, so I put the darker color on the bottom, closest to the ground.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DonFibonacci said:

The lines are (supposed to be) equal length, so it doesn't matter which go on top and which on bottom as far as flying goes.  But most people choose a color for the bottoms and one for the tops and stick to that.

My mnemonic is that the ground is "darker" than the sky, so I put the darker color on the bottom, closest to the ground.

Good way to look at it or reference it too👍

Another way I typically refer to it other than Black Bottom is Brake Bottom since brakes are at the bottom. 

For my dual line kites I always go with Red Right since there's a Red or Black option for those as well. 👍

• Like 1

I always switch tops and bottoms after every session as this way they will get a more even "stretch" over time.

Try this next time you go flying.....just fly normally and keep track of how much, and often, tension is used on the top lines vs. the tension on the bottom lines. Now if you are doing more fancy or aggressive flying....axle's, pancakes, et al....again keep track of the tension on the tops vs. the bottoms. Even just keeping  the kite in a stationary hover..... Notice anything? 

bt