KiteLife Forum

BLUES MAMBA

CarbonCrusher

Awhile back I asked for input on what to get for a 6 - 12 MPH kite, ended up with a Mamba.(Super easy process with Ken).  Got to fly it today(8-10MPH) went well.  Much easier to fly than I was anticipating.  Did an axel two different times completely by accident as I was playing around at the top of the window.  Problem is I really do not know what I did to make it happen.  Had a video for you showing my mad skills which ended with me doing a stall and then a quick wing drag and landing.  Unfortunately the wing drag ended up being my landing.(hence the CarbonCrusher).  Video was too big to post.  Picture instead.  Blue

IMG_0166.jpg

• Like 4

Ooh la la!!!!

That's a nice one!!!! Yup....very "easy" kite(s) to fly, and yes it will "give away" some moves while still retaining that mystery of wtf was that???? There are many reasons why the Mamba has been around for such a long time and still rules the roost as it is by no means a one trick pony...one of the best allrounders ever!!! I think you will be very and pleasantly surprised at how well it will fly and perform in UL wind territory!! (Sometimes I enjoy my std Mamba  more than my ul Mojo in low winds) Most definitely a kite you'll want to grow and dance with.....

bt

• Like 1

Thank you, I am new to the game, but I really like how it seems to stay hooked up, or how it will float if I give it line.  Glad Ken made it for me(also got some extra sticks).  Flying the more responsive kites has allowed me to fly my Whizz in the high winds.  That kite is quite fussy in the sky, and super fast.  So at this point I am covered for high and fairly low wind.  Like the hobby so far.  Did not get a Level One kite, but the people there are very nice and responsive.  Need to get a Badass at some point.  Blue

• 3 weeks later...

I have been conversing with Ken via email, and fancy a Mamba, but the cost of delivery  to UK, which isn't to bad, plus the import duty total up a fair bit. Also at the moment the delivery US to UK is long winded. Would love to get a UL and standard to save on. shipping cost, but the personnel banker (wife) would probably object.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like mine.  I have only been a high wind guy, and the Mamba has me learning tricks, yet it still flies patterns or whatever I want nicely.  Ken really makes it an easy process to buy, and you can do whatever colors you like.  I give mine a 10 because while trying to learn things I have put it on the ground and there has been no damage, and it looks good in the sky.  Blue(it will be worth the wait for you)

I would guess so.  I am new to light winds, but I can fly my Mamba Std well at 5 MPH, so I would think the UL would be good at 2-3.  You should talk to Ken.  I can only axel, 1/2 axel and turtle at this point, but the Mamba stays well in the air at 5 without having to pump much.  Can still fly patterns at 5MPH  Blue

Mamba UL will fly well in 3 and even down to two or slightly less with arm movements or a little foot work. It’s really not comparable to a pro dancer SUL but is way more trick capable. If your trying to fly in less than 2 get a pro dancer. For 2 and above up to 7 or 8 the Mamba is a way better choice. I always switch out when wind hits 6 or so with my moonie mamba. Usually don’t fly PD SUL above 4 or 5 but I have too many kites to fly and not enough time.

• Like 2

Mamba UL will fly well in 3 and even down to two or slightly less with arm movements or a little foot work. It’s really not comparable to a pro dancer SUL but is way more trick capable. If your trying to fly in less than 2 get a pro dancer. For 2 and above up to 7 or 8 the Mamba is a way better choice. I always switch out when wind hits 6 or so with my moonie mamba. Usually don’t fly PD SUL above 4 or 5 but I have too many kites to fly and not enough time.

I have to agree. The PDSUL will fly in less wind, but once it gets up to 4 or 5 mph I switch to the Mamba UL. The PD will fly in next to no wind, but if I want to do any tricks the Mamba is a better choice for me.

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to order a Mamba. Currently making the color choice.

Think I will get the UL version, that should prevent me from pushing it too hard and destroying it.

I didn't know how a standard Mamba would hold up to heavier or variable winds and crashing like my beater kites, so I don't think a standard would be the right choice for my application. 

• Like 1

The UL, in its intended winds, will also tend to Slow. Everything. Down.

Not that the Mamba is a fast kite. 

But I have really come to appreciate slow and steady and the flight unfolding in more than a blink.

That said, it is just as easy, or should I say easier, to bust a UL kite if it is flown in more wind than one should...

My Mamba(STD) has flown in 18-20 with no trouble, do get some wing shudder if I push it to hard in the middle of the window.  Have put it on the ground a fair amount trying things, and nothing has broken.  Kite is a 10 for me.  I do not try to fly it over 15mph, but the winds gust up here fairly often.  Over 18MPH I bring out the Whizz.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Moonie Mamba UL and while I am a quad flyer with visions of dual line spastic artistry I must say I sure do give to the kite when I’m close to the ground. I typically stop at 4-5 mph with her singing vibrato when loaded and powered up. She is tough but her frame is on the fragile side with nose dives. It’s like a fine bamboo rod versus graphite, slow and sweet 🪁

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Hard to imagine having my first and only really nice custom kite and only being able to fly it in mostly UL wind range, so a standard makes more sense in that repect. 

i dont think my lower back could handle the pull of the standard in strong winds in the power section of the window though. 

Would buy both if i could afford them, but standard winds is what I fly in the most so that is what I should get, I am not trying to do tricks in ul winds yet.