KiteLife Forum

Tica 2020 vs OSK Challenger

Fred Wagner

Thinking of an older overweight man with a bad back which would be a better suited Kite for me? Andy made a pretty convincing argument for the Challenger vs his Jynx model being he feels the Jynx would demand a more seasoned pilot. I asked what his thoughts on the Tica. He said Tica is a good kite, but He mentioned the Tica is a bit larger which would require larger more aggressive moves. I am looking at all three in Standard and trying to decide which to buy soon.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• John Barresi changed the title to Tica 2020 vs OSK Challenger

funny i was just thinking about an older, overweight man with a bad back... then i turned away from the bathroom mirror and turned off the light, and now here i am  trying  to answer your questions...probly need more info about your back and your skills with kites to say much more...generally ultralight kites will pull less if the back is an issue and expensive kites are more fun to fly if budget is not an issue. 

funny i was just thinking about an older, overweight man with a bad back... then i turned away from the bathroom mirror and turned off the light, and now here i am  trying  to answer your questions...probly need more info about your back and your skills with kites to say much more...generally ultralight kites will pull less if the back is an issue and expensive kites are more fun to fly if budget is not an issue. 

Skill level I would put myself at a intermediate level. I can preform some basic tricks, but not proficiently. I would not be beginner level at all. I would say timing of hand movements and skill level of kites have held me back. My back issue is lower lumbar pain issue from spondylitis from degenerative joint issues (old age truck driver). I am getting better at half axle into a back flip with my 4D in low winds. I can do axles and sometimes do a pancake into a fade, but usually end up into a nose dive into the ground. It is tough for me to do the sudden run down wind to accomplish some maneuvers. I also have arthritis in the knees from skiing injuries. I like large kites with floaty maneuvers but still like the snappiness of a cascade. Alex said the challenger would be easier for my skill and ability to trick even over the jinx and Tica. Bret mentioned the Tica would be better for me because of being more forgiving on the hand movements.

Financial situation is tight. I only have $200 at this point, but hoping some of my artwork may sell to finance the rest otherwise I will be waiting till the end of August.

Apart from the cost, have you considered quad line kites? In decent wind you can launch, fly, and land from the comfort of a lawn chair or beach lounge chair. Or even a wheelchair. 

• Like 1

Apart from the cost, have you considered quad line kites? In decent wind you can launch, fly, and land from the comfort of a lawn chair or beach lounge chair. Or even a wheelchair. 

Yes. I own 3 Djinn. Love them! I just want a good dual line in my bag that will be easy to trick. Andy said the Challenger would do that. I just am looking for the reassurance so I don’t waist the cash.

• Like 1

have you looked at the spec page for the challenger at oskusa's website? seems like they put the right stuff in and on the kites, other than that i dont know much about them.  also found a post here in General Sport Kite > OSK Challenger by Mikelp3586 

• Like 1

Hi Fred,

Just thought I would mention that I own both a STD and a vented Challenger.  IMHO, they are both very nice kites and the build quality seems to excellent.  I am sure that whatever Andy shared with you about the kite is spot on!!

The TICA 202 is also a very nice kite, but as Andy pointed out, a bit bigger and that may cause issues for you and your back.

I am fairly new at kiting and am trying to learn a few tricks.  I have MUCH to learn, but have no doubt that the Challenger is up to the challenge and would be able to trick with ease!!

Good luck in your choice,

Lon 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here is a thread about the OSK Challenger. I thought about buying one and looked into them. Decided I didn't need one because I doubt it does anything much better than what I already have.

https://kitelife.com/forum/topic/7783-osk-challenger/?tab=comments#comment-73791

I looked into the Jinx and Level one Badass also.  I emailed Paul Debakker about it since I believe he designed the Hydra, the Focus kites Jinx, the OSK Jinx, and the Level One Badass. Here are a few things he said about the kite:

The osk sails are all cnc lasercut, whereas the focus jinxes were hand cut. Andy should be able to achieve higher tolerances and consistency from batch to batch and within batches. He will have an updated bridle soon (ask him about it) and the kite flies exactly the same to me a my Focus ones. The Jynx is the more precise and slightly slower kite of the two, the Hydra is its more radical little brother.

The Jinx definitely likes precise inputs and will reward precise flying style. The Badass is more forgiving that way but ultimately will never look as "crisp" in the sky as the Jinx. Yes, materials are largely the same, same icarex pc31 in all three and different, but same quality, frame materials. Build quality of all 3 is pretty much the same.

• Like 1