KiteLife Forum

Welcome graywind

Hello @graywind,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Hi, I'm a long-time kiteflyer who hasn't flown anything for probably 15 years (college and then grad school will do that to you).

I stumbled on this site after a bit of a journey that started from my cleaning out my parents' house last week. I came across a 1990s Into the Wind catalog and decided to see if they were still in business (nice to see that they are, as so many shops seem to have closed). Noting how their selection of 2- and 4- line kites had dramatically shrunk, I started looking to see if my two favorite kites were still in some kind of production (whether directly or evolutions of the model); the Flexifoil Stranger (which came with an awesome VHS video that I used to watch with my friends back in high school) and the MEFM (a Big Easy-made one). Sadly, it looks like neither is in production anymore, and that makes me a little scared to fly them - both are in excellent condition and the MEFM is essentially perfect (the last kite I ever bought). Part of me is inclined just to buy a newer one (that is replaceable) and leave those two for very occasional use.

Nice to see that Prism is still in business though, as I kind of broke a spar on my Prism Micron waaaaay back and never got around to fixing it.

I'm guessing I'll need to get some new line if I want to fly again, as I'm guessing my Spectra/Dyneema has too far degraded to use safely.

• Like 1

Nice finds in that basement! I, too, have a Stranger from that era and yes, it, too, was still in the basement when I resurrected it a few years ago. Flies great if not exactly 'modern'. First one I got was Carrington ripstop, and later got an icarex version. Axels in a blink. Or before.

Now that Most Excellent has quite the rep if memory serves. Never had one but from what I have read it is held in high esteem for its day.

I say fly them, maybe on a day more towards the lower end of their wind range perhaps at first if you are concerned, but do fly them!  (But I do get the preservation strategy if you prefer. The ITW Hydra might be a good option for a more modern trick kite at a good price if you are looking new. Mention that as you seem to have visited there. Or grab something used if you see it.)

My 20-25 year old spectra lines held up quite well btw and don't think time alone will render them unusable, assuming they haven't been left out in the sun  or something all that time, and assuming they are in reasonable condition flying-time wise. But new lines aren't a bad idea if you have the budget and, eventually, need for it. Particularly to have a range of lengths and/or strengths for various conditions.

Do have fun at any rate and welcome back!

5 hours ago, midibot said:

Nice finds in that basement! I, too, have a Stranger from that era and yes, it, too, was still in the basement when I resurrected it a few years ago. Flies great if not exactly 'modern'. First one I got was Carrington ripstop, and later got an icarex version. Axels in a blink. Or before.

Now that Most Excellent has quite the rep if memory serves. Never had one but from what I have read it is held in high esteem for its day.

I say fly them, maybe on a day more towards the lower end of their wind range perhaps at first if you are concerned, but do fly them!  (But I do get the preservation strategy if you prefer. The ITW Hydra might be a good option for a more modern trick kite at a good price if you are looking new. Mention that as you seem to have visited there. Or grab something used if you see it.)

My 20-25 year old spectra lines held up quite well btw and don't think time alone will render them unusable, assuming they haven't been left out in the sun  or something all that time, and assuming they are in reasonable condition flying-time wise. But new lines aren't a bad idea if you have the budget and, eventually, need for it. Particularly to have a range of lengths and/or strengths for various conditions.

Do have fun at any rate and welcome back!

Thanks. Funny thing is that I forgot about the ITW catalog all this time, but the kites themselves were brought with me to grad school (never actually got around to flying them, unfortunately). They ended up sitting rolled up in my kite bag (and still are) all this time. Once I get a chance, I intend to take some photos of the collection. I know I should fly them, and I'm confident that they won't break or be damaged in the process the first few times - I'm just a little hesitant to use them on a regular basis the way I used to. More than anything, I'm really wary of that moment of inattention that brings calamity to something that can't really be replaced (I have a car that I feel the same way about).

There's something I really like about the Carrington nylon version of the Stranger, though I really regret not buying one of the Icarex ones back in the day. Looks like Flexifoil got out of the stunt kite market (pretty much like everyone else).

Back in the day, the my friends and I considered the MEFM the be the kite to have - the one that does just about everything with aplomb. An old high school buddy of mine that I used to fly with still mentions it once in a while. I suppose it's why it was the last kite I ever bought.

The Hydra looks interesting - it's got that same high aspect ratio as the stranger (just have to stick a cheater/bow-line on).

On 6/26/2020 at 2:13 AM, graywind said:

[...]

The Hydra looks interesting - it's got that same high aspect ratio as the stranger (just have to stick a cheater/bow-line on).

Eeek - did you mean to insert a smiley after the part I bolded? 

Lol.

If you get this kite, umm ... hold off on the trick line at least 'till you have flown it awhile. The types of tricks modern kites do do not require, and indeed arguably are hindered by, trick lines. 

In fact, ppl have been known to remove such lines from the likes of our Stranger or its lil brother Psycho in aid of more modern flying styles (I am not one of them, but there are some great more recent videos of flying older kites that support this).

Here it is, a video showing a more modern go at the beloved Stranger. Not bad for a ~25 year old design, eh?

From the blurb on the vid:

"This episode of Back To The Old School covers Psycho's bigger and older brother: the Flexifoil Stranger designed by Andy Preston. Flown at the Zandmotor beach in light and moderate wind. Thanks to Chris Wojtas for providing his pristine Stranger. No mods, except for the temporary clip-on yoyo stoppers and i removed the trickline for this session. Enjoy!"